Date: 26/06/2017 14:56:00
ID: 1082966
Subject: Dyslexic Font

I was playing with a special dyslexic font in my training resources the other day and noticed that there is a pronounced difference in the line width at various points in the letters. Given that this is a purpose-built font, I presume it’s important.

I have also been writing a lot with a fountain pen lately, and was wondering whether the writing produced by an Italic nib might be better for people with Dyslexia.

Anyone in the position to test the theory?

Reply Quote

Date: 26/06/2017 15:09:53
ID: 1082971
Subject: re: Dyslexic Font

> Anyone in the position to test the theory?

Perhaps.

I have a sister who is mildly dyslexic. But a single subject hardly makes it a fair test.

Any test would have to be done scientifically, though, to eliminate any effect of font size, serif vs sans-serif, bold vs italic, etc. Not just global font size but size of core (eg. ‘o’) vs upstrokes and downstrokes, distance of text from the eyes. It would also have to eliminate any effect of improvement through practice because the last font tested would have an advantage.

And ¿how would you test dyslexia, the only simple way I can think of is to introduce deliberate misspellings of different types into the text and get the dyslexic to correctly find all misspellings. But that enhances the bias due to practice.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/06/2017 15:20:38
ID: 1082977

From Link.

ABC Keyboard

I want one. And I want it now. Both links to it given in the article fail.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/06/2017 15:23:40
ID: 1082978

mollwollfumble said:

Perhaps.

I have a sister who is mildly dyslexic. But a single subject hardly makes it a fair test.

Any test would have to be done scientifically, though, to eliminate any effect of font size, serif vs sans-serif, bold vs italic, etc. Not just global font size but size of core (eg. ‘o’) vs upstrokes and downstrokes, distance of text from the eyes. It would also have to eliminate any effect of improvement through practice because the last font tested would have an advantage.

And ¿how would you test dyslexia, the only simple way I can think of is to introduce deliberate misspellings of different types into the text and get the dyslexic to correctly find all misspellings. But that enhances the bias due to practice.

The greatest asset for dyslexic people is the computer, where corrections can be easily and quickly made, re-arranged or in part re-written, plus there is the spell and grammar check. However handwriting using pen and ink although more attractive than a ball-point pen is for most a dying activity.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/06/2017 15:34:00
ID: 1082979

PermeateFree said:

mollwollfumble said:

Perhaps.

The greatest asset for dyslexic people is the computer, where corrections can be easily and quickly made, re-arranged or in part re-written, plus there is the spell and grammar check. However handwriting using pen and ink although more attractive than a ball-point pen is for most a dying activity.

Is there a gramma check?

Reply Quote

Date: 26/06/2017 15:37:56
ID: 1082982

Peak Warming Man said:

PermeateFree said:

mollwollfumble said:

Perhaps.

Is there a gramma check?

Yes, same section as the spell check, but only effective on the more obvious errors.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/06/2017 15:47:38
ID: 1082983

PermeateFree said:

Peak Warming Man said:

PermeateFree said:

Is there a gramma check?

Yes, same section as the spell check, but only effective on the more obvious errors.

There are quite a few if you google Grammarly.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/06/2017 15:47:39
ID: 1082984

PermeateFree said:

Peak Warming Man said:

PermeateFree said:

Is there a gramma check?

OK, I haven’t saw it.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/06/2017 15:52:59
ID: 1082985

I don’t think dyslexics have problems with grammar. Their spoken language isn’t affected.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/06/2017 16:04:53
ID: 1082986

Witty Rejoinder said:

I don’t think dyslexics have problems with grammar. Their spoken language isn’t affected.

They do when they must write something.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/06/2017 16:08:30
ID: 1082988

PermeateFree said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

My learning for the day. A ref:

https://www.thoughtco.com/how-dyslexia-impacts-writing-skills-3111195

Reply Quote

Date: 26/06/2017 16:14:53
ID: 1082989

Witty Rejoinder said:

PermeateFree said:

Witty Rejoinder said:

My learning for the day. A ref:

https://www.thoughtco.com/how-dyslexia-impacts-writing-skills-3111195

Like most things there are many levels from mild dyslexia to severe.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/06/2017 16:48:35
ID: 1082995

I’m still trying to figure out why anyone would think that the best font for a dyslexic would be different to the best font for everybody else.

I can’t see why there would be any difference.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/06/2017 16:53:55
ID: 1082998

mollwollfumble said:

I’m still trying to figure out why anyone would think that the best font for a dyslexic would be different to the best font for everybody else.

I tend to agree. Dyslexia is less of an identification problem and more of a use and interpretation problem, which makes the computer the most important aid by far.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/06/2017 18:21:41
ID: 1083021

mollwollfumble said:

I can’t see why either; but human brains have complex interactions that frequently produce unexpected results, so the fact that neither you nor or I can see why there would be any difference does not mean that there is not any difference.

Reply Quote

Date: 26/06/2017 18:33:43
ID: 1083026

The Rev Dodgson said:

mollwollfumble said:

I can’t see why either; but human brains have complex interactions that frequently produce unexpected results, so the fact that neither you nor or I can see why there would be any difference does not mean that there is not any difference.

I guess the letters being more different from each other (than the usual) makes it more difficult for the brain to get them wrong, but it’s just a guess.

Reply Quote