Date: 22/08/2017 14:44:53
ID: 1107550
Subject: Juniper Ash for Calcium

One gram of juniper ash contains the same amount of calcium as a glass of milk.
The Ancients knew.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/08/21/544191316/to-get-calcium-navajos-burn-juniper-branches-to-eat-the-ash

Reply Quote

Date: 22/08/2017 14:47:01
ID: 1107551
Subject: re: Juniper Ash for Calcium

Peak Warming Man said:

The Ancients knew.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/08/21/544191316/to-get-calcium-navajos-burn-juniper-branches-to-eat-the-ash

“But because most American Indians are lactose intolerant, “they aren’t getting that same source of calcium from dairy products,” Begay says.”

Huh.
I knew LI was higher among native Americans than among Europeans but I didn’t know it was most.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/08/2017 14:49:59
ID: 1107552

And I was unaware it was a cypress.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/08/2017 14:51:29
ID: 1107553

Peak Warming Man said:

The Ancients knew.

And I was unaware that its formal name is Juniperus ashei.

FMD … some botanist really phoned it in that day.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/08/2017 15:25:55
ID: 1107565

This one stumps me a bit. I thought the majority of eastern Asians were lactose intolerant. Walking the streets of melbourne town on any given morning and i see shedloads of people walking around with their flat whites. Being east Asian doesn’t seem to preclude people from downing the morning coffee at a great rate of knots.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/08/2017 15:27:05
ID: 1107567

sibeen said:

This one stumps me a bit. I thought the majority of eastern Asians were lactose intolerant. Walking the streets of melbourne town on any given morning and i see shedloads of people walking around with their flat whites. Being east Asian doesn’t seem to preclude people from downing the morning coffee at a great rate of knots.

Maybe they are soy lattes

Reply Quote

Date: 22/08/2017 15:28:41
ID: 1107569

dv said:

sibeen said:

WHAT?

Nobody drinks that shit.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/08/2017 15:29:49
ID: 1107570

sibeen said:

dv said:

sibeen said:

WHAT?

Nobody drinks that shit.

Baffling though it seems to decent folk like you and I, soy lattes are a popular item…

Reply Quote

Date: 22/08/2017 15:30:12
ID: 1107571

sibeen said:

Maybe it’s soy flat white.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/08/2017 15:32:27
ID: 1107574

Tamb said:

sibeen said:

I’ve already shot down that line of argument.

stomps off

Reply Quote

Date: 22/08/2017 15:33:55
ID: 1107576

sibeen said:

Tamb said:

sibeen said:

I’ve already shot down that line of argument.

stomps off

:(

Reply Quote

Date: 22/08/2017 17:59:16
ID: 1107664

But why would you burn juniper to get calcium?

Reply Quote

Date: 22/08/2017 21:12:34
ID: 1107795

roughbarked said:

Exactly. Not much calcium in Juniper ash, unless it is growing on limestone, which is highly unlikely in Australia.

I get calcium from sardines and KFC. I still find it annoying that I can no longer buy canned tuna with chewable bones.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 03:15:22
ID: 1108360

> One gram of juniper ash contains the same amount of calcium as a glass of milk.

Milk is mostly water.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 03:29:43
ID: 1108361

mollwollfumble said:

roughbarked said:

Exactly. Not much calcium in Juniper ash, unless it is growing on limestone, which is highly unlikely in Australia.

FFs. Juniper on calcium and in Australia? Bloody scientists should stick to facts. NOT bloody likely at all.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 07:00:10
ID: 1108368

Um, the item is about Navajo. I don’t think they were/are in Australia.

Reply Quote