Date: 23/08/2017 19:32:08
ID: 1108190
Subject: White Walkers from Mexico...

Do you think there might be a subset of people (particularly Americans) who are subconsciously manifesting an increasing affection for Trump’s wall that they might otherwise not have because they are viewing the current season of Game of Thrones?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/08/2017 19:33:55
ID: 1108192
Subject: re: White Walkers from Mexico...

esselte said:

Do you think there might be a subset of people (particularly Americans) who are subconsciously manifesting an increasing affection for Trump’s wall that they might otherwise not have because they are viewing the current season of Game of Thrones?

Interesting. You should make it into an article and sell it to the Guardian.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/08/2017 19:35:04
ID: 1108195

esselte said:

yes

Reply Quote

Date: 23/08/2017 19:37:00
ID: 1108199

No.

Surely no-one is that stupid.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/08/2017 19:37:51
ID: 1108200

sibeen said:

No.

Surely no-one is that stupid.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/08/2017 19:41:19
ID: 1108204

Game of wha?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/08/2017 19:48:43
ID: 1108209

party_pants said:

Game of wha?

Crown of Thorns I think it is.
Staring Ben Crop and Valarie Taylor.
It’s about how scientists alerted the world to the threat to the Barrier Reef from the crown of thorns starfish and how the reef would be dead in a few years unless the star fish were eliminated, destroyed, wiped out.
Turned out the scientists were wrong and thousands of innocent starfish were slaughtered.
It’s a cautionary tale.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/08/2017 19:50:58
ID: 1108210

party_pants said:

Game of wha?

Game of Thrones is a popular serial on the wireless. Part of the story involves a wall. A really big wall. Which was built to keep out some hombres. Some really bad hombres.
Various things happen to various people and other assorted creatures. Emotions are evoked. Plot points occur, and often lead to other plot points.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/08/2017 19:50:58
ID: 1108211

Peak Warming Man said:

party_pants said:

Game of wha?

Crown of Thorns I think it is.
Staring Ben Crop and Valarie Taylor.
It’s about how scientists alerted the world to the threat to the Barrier Reef from the crown of thorns starfish and how the reef would be dead in a few years unless the star fish were eliminated, destroyed, wiped out.
Turned out the scientists were wrong and thousands of innocent starfish were slaughtered.
It’s a cautionary tale.

“The Labor Party will wear this like a rose of crowns! The Greens will wear this like a rose of crowns! Senator Culleton, Senator Lambie and Senator Hinch will wear this like a rose of crowns!” – Der Cormannator

Reply Quote

Date: 23/08/2017 20:00:50
ID: 1108217

esselte said:

party_pants said:

Game of wha?

Game of Thrones is a popular serial on the wireless. Part of the story involves a wall. A really big wall. Which was built to keep out some hombres. Some really bad hombres.
Various things happen to various people and other assorted creatures. Emotions are evoked. Plot points occur, and often lead to other plot points.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/08/2017 20:02:08
ID: 1108220

Bogsnorkler said:

Why don’t you come to your senses

Reply Quote

Date: 23/08/2017 20:02:23
ID: 1108221

>>Game of Thrones is a popular serial on the wireless

On the wireless?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/08/2017 20:03:56
ID: 1108223

Peak Warming Man said:

>>Game of Thrones is a popular serial on the wireless

On the wireless?

A means of transmitting information over the very aether, m’lud. Supposedly better than the telegram.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/08/2017 20:04:03
ID: 1108224

party_pants said:

Bogsnorkler said:

Why don’t you come to your senses

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 02:59:41
ID: 1108357

esselte said:

party_pants said:

Game of wha?

Thanks for the summary. There are three types of people in this world, those who love Game of Thrones (eg. my nephew), those who hate Game of Thrones (eg. my daughter), and those who have no idea what Game of Thrones is (eg. me).

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 03:31:25
ID: 1108362

mollwollfumble said:

esselte said:

party_pants said:

Game of wha?

Thanks for the summary. There are three types of people in this world, those who love Game of Thrones (eg. my nephew), those who hate Game of Thrones (eg. my daughter), and those who have no idea what Game of Thrones is (eg. me).

I only know that people keep relating it to all manner of things I already know exist.

No need to catch up.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 04:30:59
ID: 1108364

Good. I can Go back to bed.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 05:17:34
ID: 1108365

mollwollfumble said:

esselte said:

party_pants said:

Game of wha?

Um….four types of people….

I quite liked it, but haven’t seen the last few seasons. I’ll catch up at some point.

:D

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 08:02:33
ID: 1108372

esselte said:

Why not. The walls are a marvelous tool for controlling rampant illegal immigration, by the living.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 08:29:35
ID: 1108374

OTOH illegal immigration across the southern border to the US is not rampant. In particular, the number of of illegal immigrants in the USA from Mexico has been in decline for a decade, with more crossing south than crossing north.

” According to preliminary estimates for 2016, Pew said the number of Mexican immigrants without legal status who were living in the U.S. in 2016 fell to 5.6 million, down from a peak of 6.9 million in 2007.”
http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/25/news/economy/undocumented-immigrant-pew-mexican/index.html

Explaining the Decline in Mexico-U.S. Migration
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4252712/

The loss of these workers has had a deleterious effect on the US economy.
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/shortage-of-mexican-workers-is-hurting-us-businesses-2016-11-25

The wall is a solution to a problem from the 1990s.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 09:01:46
ID: 1108381

mollwollfumble said:

esselte said:

party_pants said:

Game of wha?

It’s a serial on the electric wireless?

I always assumed it was a computer game.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 09:16:45
ID: 1108386

The Rev Dodgson said:

mollwollfumble said:

esselte said:

I have now looked up Game of Thrones, and discover that it may actually be viewed on the Bairdboard bombardment screen, so what is all this talk of electric wireless?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 09:17:04
ID: 1108387

dv said:

OTOH illegal immigration across the southern border to the US is not rampant. In particular, the number of of illegal immigrants in the USA from Mexico has been in decline for a decade, with more crossing south than crossing north.

” According to preliminary estimates for 2016, Pew said the number of Mexican immigrants without legal status who were living in the U.S. in 2016 fell to 5.6 million, down from a peak of 6.9 million in 2007.”
http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/25/news/economy/undocumented-immigrant-pew-mexican/index.html

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/shortage-of-mexican-workers-is-hurting-us-businesses-2016-11-25

The wall is a solution to a problem from the 1990s.

Now for some facts;

Yet while Trump’s vision of a wall has been too impractical to implement, there is one statistic the president can point to as a win on border security.

Since his election in November, the number of illegal immigrants apprehended at the U.S.-Mexico border has plummeted.

In October 2016, U.S. Customs and Border Protection detained about 45,000 people there; by March, that monthly figure had fallen to 17,000.
Both Trump and the Department of Homeland Security have touted this drop-off as proof that the president is already making good on his vow to tighten border security and stem the flow of illegal migrants from the south.

Even the threat of a wall has had an effect!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stratfor/2017/05/02/whos-really-crossing-the-u-s-mexico-border/#254d73e830c2

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 09:19:10
ID: 1108388

The Rev Dodgson said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

mollwollfumble said:

I have now looked up Game of Thrones, and discover that it may actually be viewed on the Bairdboard bombardment screen, so what is all this talk of electric wireless?

Presumably you could purchase the audiobook.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 09:46:09
ID: 1108390

The_observer said:

Now for some facts;

illegal immigration across the southern border to the US is not rampant. In particular, the number of of illegal immigrants in the USA from Mexico has been in decline for a decade, with more crossing south than crossing north.

Fair.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 09:56:04
ID: 1108394

dv said:

The_observer said:

Now for some facts;

illegal immigration across the southern border to the US is not rampant. In particular, the number of of illegal immigrants in the USA from Mexico has been in decline for a decade, with more crossing south than crossing north.

Fair.

was rampant

number of arrests & denials of entry

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 10:02:07
ID: 1108396

Seriously though: you just found out that the extreme lack of Mexican labour is hurting the US economy, and that the number of illegal Mexican immigrants in the US has been dropping for a decade, with more going south than going north. It is important, relevant information.

Just say: “Huh! Seems like the wall is a stupid, wasteful idea solving a problem that doesn’t exist.”

Don’t humiliate yourself further by pretending not to understand the information.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 10:06:03
ID: 1108399

dv said:

Seriously though: you just found out that the extreme lack of Mexican labour is hurting the US economy, and that the number of illegal Mexican immigrants in the US has been dropping for a decade, with more going south than going north. It is important, relevant information.

Just say: “Huh! Seems like the wall is a stupid, wasteful idea solving a problem that doesn’t exist.”

Don’t humiliate yourself further by pretending not to understand the information.

So the question is: What can the USA do to attract more labour from Mexico to make up for this shortfall that is hurting the economy? Could improved infrastructure make it easier? More Spanish language cable channels? No doubt the finest minds are already on this problem.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 10:06:27
ID: 1108400

dv said:

I’m not interested in your extreme leftwing twisting of the facts

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 10:08:38
ID: 1108402

The New Face of Illegal Immigration

Still, today’s political discourse and reports on the state of illegal immigration are missing an important nuance: More and more, illegal border crossings through Mexico are motivated not by events in the United States’ immediate neighbor, but by problems farther south. As it stands, illegal immigration from Mexico to the United States has been on the decline for nearly 15 years, thanks in large part to Mexico’s improving economy and slowing population growth. Simply put, the country is far richer than it has been at any point in its history, and its population is no longer expanding so rapidly that its youths feel compelled to leave in droves to seek better opportunity in the United States.

Instead, Central America is now responsible for most of the fluctuation in illegal migrant flows northward. Three countries in particular — Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador — account for the bulk of non-Mexican migrants arrested at the U.S.-Mexico border. Because these countries are much smaller than Mexico, they will never come close to supplying a migration surge on the scale of that seen from Mexico in the 1980s and 1990s. Unlike Mexico, however, their economies aren’t getting any better. Each of the three countries suffers from rampant violent crime, due to cocaine trafficking from South America and to street gangs that prey on locals through extortion and frequent killings. For instance, El Salvador’s annual murder rate is 80 per 100,000 inhabitants, while Honduras’ is 59 per 100,000 — both more than 10 times the United States’.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 10:13:28
ID: 1108406

Won’t putting up a wall hinder cocaine importation and have a flow on effect to Hollywood and the rich elite, a sober Charlie Sheen oh my god

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 10:18:06
ID: 1108411

The Rev Dodgson said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

mollwollfumble said:

Try reading the books!

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 10:24:59
ID: 1108412

kii said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Try reading the books!

Four types moll.
Type four (me) Watched some until the first zombies. Realised the writers had run out of ideas so lost interest & won’t waste my time watching any more.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 10:26:24
ID: 1108413

Tamb said:

kii said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Try reading the books!

Four types moll.
Type four (me) Watched some until the first zombies. Realised the writers had run out of ideas so lost interest & won’t waste my time watching any more.

I already claimed the 4th type.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 10:28:09
ID: 1108414

kii said:

Tamb said:

kii said:

Try reading the books!

Four types moll.

I already claimed the 4th type.

Sorry. Missed that. We totally indifferent people are like that. :)

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 10:48:37
ID: 1108416

GOT is a really good show, I don’t cream my pants over it like the hype generates but it’s worth watching, the White Walkers don’t play much of a role until this season

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 10:51:46
ID: 1108418

Cymek said:

Won’t putting up a wall hinder cocaine importation and have a flow on effect to Hollywood and the rich elite, a sober Charlie Sheen oh my god

It might have the positive effect of stopping the southward movement of firearms.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 10:53:31
ID: 1108419

Cymek said:

GOT is a really good show, I don’t cream my pants over it like the hype generates but it’s worth watching, the White Walkers don’t play much of a role until this season

that’s not true at all… there has been a “North of the Wall” story line going on since season 1 – in fact it’s the very first scene of the very first episode

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 10:54:45
ID: 1108421

I never got into it.

My daug has started watching from Season 1 but she reports there is a lot of nudity and incest.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 10:56:02
ID: 1108422

diddly-squat said:

Cymek said:

that’s not true at all… there has been a “North of the Wall” story line going on since season 1 – in fact it’s the very first scene of the very first episode

They have only been considered a threat now John Snow is involved everyone else ignored them and fought each other, its not a zombie show if that’s what people think. They are a side story and not the main plot

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 10:56:31
ID: 1108423

dv said:

I never got into it.

My daug has started watching from Season 1 but she reports there is a lot of nudity and incest.

What about on the show?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 10:56:58
ID: 1108424

dv said:

I never got into it.

Less nudity this season, some side boob I think but that’s about it.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 10:58:01
ID: 1108425

dv said:

I never got into it.

well… some…

but TBH, I’d recommend the books over the show

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 10:59:24
ID: 1108426

Cymek said:

diddly-squat said:

Cymek said:

They have only been considered a threat now John Snow is involved everyone else ignored them and fought each other, its not a zombie show if that’s what people think. They are a side story and not the main plot

Side story or not they are in there and for me that is one suspension of disbelief too many.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 10:59:42
ID: 1108427

Cymek said:

diddly-squat said:

Cymek said:

I say that the whole taking over of the 7 kingdoms by the evil in the north is the PRIMARY plot line – the rest is just window dressing and character development

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 10:59:48
ID: 1108428

diddly-squat said:

dv said:

I never got into it.

well… some…

Poor George almost infinite R’s Martin gets annoyed people say hurry up you might die before you finish writing the books

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 11:00:23
ID: 1108429

Tamb said:

Cymek said:

diddly-squat said:

Side story or not they are in there and for me that is one suspension of disbelief too many.

but you were fine with the dragons…

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 11:01:08
ID: 1108430

Tamb said:

Cymek said:

diddly-squat said:

But you’re cool with the dragons right?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 11:01:30
ID: 1108431

diddly-squat said:

Cymek said:

diddly-squat said:

I say that the whole taking over of the 7 kingdoms by the evil in the north is the PRIMARY plot line – the rest is just window dressing and character development

Yeah it doesn’t matter a lot who sits on the Iron Throne if the White Walkers invade, you do wonder if that’s the idea divide and conquer and weaken the enemy

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 11:02:22
ID: 1108432

diddly-squat said:

Tamb said:

Cymek said:

They are impressively done the dragons flying flame throwers

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 11:03:03
ID: 1108433

Cymek said:

diddly-squat said:

dv said:

I never got into it.

well… some…

Poor George almost infinite R’s Martin gets annoyed people say hurry up you might die before you finish writing the books

oh he will die before he finishes the book… just like Robert Jordan did before he finished The Wheel of Time… problem is we can’t get Branden Sanderson in to finish of ASOIAF…. maybe Patrick Rothfuss but only if he finished off the Kingkiller Chronicles first

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 11:03:25
ID: 1108434

diddly-squat said:

dv said:

I never got into it.

well… some…

The only zombie I like is Mr Slant of Morecombe, Slant & Honeyplace who is the head of the Guild of Lawyers in Ankh-Morpork. He is always involved in shadowy business but never caught out committing a crime. He died ages ago, but that has never stopped him from continuing his work.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 11:04:00
ID: 1108435

diddly-squat said:

Cymek said:

diddly-squat said:

well… some…

oh he will die before he finishes the book… just like Robert Jordan did before he finished The Wheel of Time… problem is we can’t get Branden Sanderson in to finish of ASOIAF…. maybe Patrick Rothfuss but only if he finished off the Kingkiller Chronicles first

They probably all die at the end.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 11:04:46
ID: 1108436

diddly-squat said:

Tamb said:

Cymek said:

In the Chinese horoscope I’m a dragon so I’m stuck with them.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 11:05:17
ID: 1108438

Cymek said:

diddly-squat said:

Cymek said:

Yeah it doesn’t matter a lot who sits on the Iron Throne if the White Walkers invade, you do wonder if that’s the idea divide and conquer and weaken the enemy

it’s just window dressing… ASOIAF is essentially a character drama based around a plot line of the fight between good and evil…

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 11:05:21
ID: 1108439

dv said:

I never got into it.

Heaps of violent deaths; hugely dysfunctional families and a dwarf.

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 11:05:59
ID: 1108441

kii said:

dv said:

I never got into it.

Yeah but what about the show?

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 11:06:37
ID: 1108442

poikilotherm said:

diddly-squat said:

Cymek said:

They probably all die at the end.

… and then Bran woke up…

Reply Quote

Date: 24/08/2017 11:08:49
ID: 1108444

kii said:

dv said:

I never got into it.

Space Pants

Reply Quote