Date: 3/01/2018 11:14:42
ID: 1168885
Subject: Gross science

For lack of a better word does anyone think of a particular field of science/research as gross.

People at work were talking about using maggots to clean wounds and how gross it was, they seemed to think you just used any old maggots and they would eat all the flesh not just the dead parts. I thought what an interesting way of wound care.

I can’t think of any science that is gross, its all interesting.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/01/2018 11:17:51
ID: 1168886
Subject: re: Gross science

Cymek said:

For lack of a better word does anyone think of a particular field of science/research as gross.

People at work were talking about using maggots to clean wounds and how gross it was, they seemed to think you just used any old maggots and they would eat all the flesh not just the dead parts. I thought what an interesting way of wound care.

That one where patients eat/drink human poo is gross. Good science notwithstanding it’s still gross.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/01/2018 11:18:02
ID: 1168887

Cymek said:

If the best description they can find is gross then they are never going to get their hands into anything of scientific interest.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/01/2018 11:20:49
ID: 1168888

Tamb said:

Cymek said:

That one where patients eat/drink human poo is gross. Good science notwithstanding it’s still gross.

Where do you stand on poo implants?

It is of interest that I’ve had people with medical science degrees tell me that they have spent their whole lives trying to teach people that the mouth and the anus are not connected for a lot of very good reasons. Even though the mouth is at one end and the anus the other.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/01/2018 11:23:59
ID: 1168889

roughbarked said:

Tamb said:

Cymek said:

It is of interest that I’ve had people with medical science degrees tell me that they have spent their whole lives trying to teach people that the mouth and the anus are not connected for a lot of very good reasons. Even though the mouth is at one end and the anus the other.

If it helps people overcome an illness then it’s a good idea I watched the documentary on it a while ago.
The worry was it could transmit an infection

Reply Quote

Date: 3/01/2018 11:35:53
ID: 1168891

Cymek said:

roughbarked said:

Tamb said:

If it helps people overcome an illness then it’s a good idea I watched the documentary on it a while ago.
The worry was it could transmit an infection

I would have to be pretty goddamn poorly to gag down a poo smoothie so I am sure it is not as vivid as eating poo. As for the arse bit, yeah I could handle a suppository so long as it was all nicely wrapped in glycerine.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/01/2018 11:41:57
ID: 1168894

People fall into three categories on this

conservatives = gross
centre one way or the other
lefties = dont care

there is science about poo

cancer screening
bacteria study
mouth to anal studies into the immune system
others

Reply Quote

Date: 3/01/2018 11:45:39
ID: 1168900

Another example was people who donate their bodies so they can be left to rot and decay so they can be studied in regard to forensic science. It wouldn’t be pleasant to look at but its still interesting and would it be morbid to want to see it.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/01/2018 11:49:21
ID: 1168902

Cymek said:

Another example was people who donate their bodies so they can be left to rot and decay so they can be studied in regard to forensic science. It wouldn’t be pleasant to look at but its still interesting and would it be morbid to want to see it.

In Sigmund Freud’s day, his associates were using cadavers to practise gynecology on and walking to the next room to perform it on live birthing mothers and wondering why there was so much death until someone suggested washing their hands.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/01/2018 12:52:52
ID: 1168910

Cymek said:

There was a doco on it a few months ago.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/01/2018 12:53:51
ID: 1168911

roughbarked said:

Cymek said:

In Sigmund Freud’s day, his associates were using cadavers to practise gynecology on and walking to the next room to perform it on live birthing mothers and wondering why there was so much death until someone suggested washing their hands.

Puerperal fever.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/01/2018 13:01:57
ID: 1168915

Mangrove swamps are a bit gross when you’re wading in them

Reply Quote

Date: 3/01/2018 13:08:06
ID: 1168919

dv said:

Mangrove swamps are a bit gross when you’re wading in them

Not recommended up here. Too many crocs.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/01/2018 13:19:02
ID: 1168925

roughbarked said:

Long before Sigmund Freud. See Ignaz Semmelweis.

Reply Quote

Date: 3/01/2018 16:58:14
ID: 1169005

Cymek said:

I suspect that “smell” has a lot to do with “grossness”.

The smells of certain chemicals and groups of chemicals tend to create unpleasant and uncontrollable physiological reactions in the observer.

Reply Quote