Date: 5/01/2018 15:08:56
ID: 1169823
Subject: Good Scientist Cartoon 472 to 482

I’ve slowed down producing these.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/01/2018 15:22:08
ID: 1169833
Subject: re: Good Scientist Cartoon 472 to 482

Of course dung is an effective contraception! Who’d want to shag someone who stank of shit?

Reply Quote

Date: 5/01/2018 15:24:07
ID: 1169836

No 482:

Sorry to be a pedant, but I can’t help it:

1. Strength – high strength concrete compressive strength would be about as high as the minimum tensile strength of aluminium, true, unfortunately its tensile strength is only about 10% of that.

2. Elastic modulus – the short term elastic modulus of high strength concrete is approaching that of aluminium, true, unfortunately when you add in the effects of creep and shrinkage its long term elastic modulus is around 30% of that.

On the other hand, if we look at ultra-high strength concrete with added steel fibre reinforcement, what you say is true for both tensile strength and long term elastic modulus.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/01/2018 16:57:10
ID: 1169874

479 is quite good

Reply Quote

Date: 5/01/2018 16:58:26
ID: 1169876

The Rev Dodgson said:

No 482:

1. Strength – high strength concrete compressive strength would be about as high as the minimum tensile strength of aluminium, true, unfortunately its tensile strength is only about 10% of that.

2. Elastic modulus – the short term elastic modulus of high strength concrete is approaching that of aluminium, true, unfortunately when you add in the effects of creep and shrinkage its long term elastic modulus is around 30% of that.

On the other hand, if we look at ultra-high strength concrete with added steel fibre reinforcement, what you say is true for both tensile strength and long term elastic modulus.

Concrete is also somewhat more brittle … if I make a can out of aluminium, 100 microns thick, I expect it to shatter easily.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/01/2018 17:17:47
ID: 1169888

dv said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

No 482:

Concrete is also somewhat more brittle … if I make a can out of aluminium, 100 microns thick, I expect it to shatter easily.

Somewhat would be somewhat of an understatement. :)

Added steel fibres help to some extent, but still nowhere near as good as aluminium.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/01/2018 17:23:57
ID: 1169892

The Rev Dodgson said:

dv said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

No 482:

Somewhat would be somewhat of an understatement. :)

Added steel fibres help to some extent, but still nowhere near as good as aluminium.

and concrete foil hats are so last season…

Reply Quote

Date: 5/01/2018 17:26:09
ID: 1169894

Stumpy_seahorse said:

and concrete foil hats are so last season…

Good point.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/01/2018 22:27:55
ID: 1170081

The Rev Dodgson said:

No 482:

Yep. Tensile strength is a killer, so strong reinforcement is needed, preferably prestressing. If the reinforcement is not corrosion-proof then a very thick cover is needed.

I just find it totally amusing that very-high-strength concrete can be used as a 1:1 replacement for general-purpose aluminium when tensile strength and electrical conductivity are not the deciding factors. We normally think of concrete and aluminium as so different.

Reply Quote

Date: 5/01/2018 22:43:16
ID: 1170085

mollwollfumble said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

No 482:

Yep. Tensile strength is a killer, so strong reinforcement is needed, preferably prestressing. If the reinforcement is not corrosion-proof then a very thick cover is needed.

I just find it totally amusing that very-high-strength concrete can be used as a 1:1 replacement for general-purpose aluminium when tensile strength and electrical conductivity are not the deciding factors. We normally think of concrete and aluminium as so different.

Question for Rev Dodgson, could you use cloth woven (or knitted) from a plastic such as polyester, nylon or kevlar as reinforcement for concrete? Some plastics have a tensile strength above 310 MPa.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/01/2018 08:50:50
ID: 1170126

mollwollfumble said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

No 482:

Question for Rev Dodgson, could you use cloth woven (or knitted) from a plastic such as polyester, nylon or kevlar as reinforcement for concrete? Some plastics have a tensile strength above 310 MPa.

Aluminium can be made 0.016 mm thick. Could very-high-strength concrete be made 1.6 mm thick? I think it could, not with big aggregate of course. Two ways could generate the same result. The batch method would be to lay down tensioned shirt-fabric on a metal slab with slots, then put down a uniform layer of very-high-strength concrete, then a final layer of tensioned shirt fabric. When the concrete is the right consistency, sew the opposite layers together with a heavy-duty sewing machine, through the slots in the metal slab. When dry, remove from the metal slab.

A more subtle method that can produce the same result would be to use the techniques of plastic/aluminium extrusion. Have a billet of slightly wet concrete extruded through a slot-like die and feed tensioned shirt-fabric down the sides. Here a custom-made sewing machine just past the die would sew the edges together. This way you could make a concrete I-beam with a 1.6 mm web, or a concrete pipe with a 2 mm wall thickness, as well as a flat slab.

This picture is of concrete extrusion already used for making hollow-core concrete bricks and slabs.

The following picture is of a table made of concrete.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/01/2018 08:55:44
ID: 1170127

Here’s an interesting product of flexible concrete that is even thinner than the table. It’s a cover for an iPhone made of concrete.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/01/2018 05:31:44
ID: 1170591

The romans used to drink coke from concrete cans

Reply Quote

Date: 20/01/2018 13:40:23
ID: 1177647

Good Scientist Cartoon 483 to 492.

Some of these are just restatements of what I’ve said in the Fusion Power thread.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/01/2018 22:02:32
ID: 1177814

I hope everyone spotted my mistake in 487. Fixed.

Reply Quote