Date: 11/02/2018 08:38:28
ID: 1187026
Subject: Resistant starch

The health benefits of resistant starch (RS) are currently gaining attention. A recent study reported that high intake of RS increases fatty acid oxidation in the liver and, thus, prevents high fat induced obesity. RS also provides fewer calories (3 kcal/gram) than most digestible carbohydrates (4 kcal/gram), which is important to individuals who are dieting. In addition, RS provides other physiological functions such as lowered cholesterol levels, decreased blood glucose level, and positive colonic effects.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3296917/

Ongoing research to develop digestion-resistant starch for human health promotion integrates the disciplines of starch chemistry, agronomy, analytical chemistry, food science, nutrition, pathology, and microbiology. The objectives of this research include identifying components of starch structure that confer digestion resistance, developing novel plants and starches, and modifying foods to incorporate these starches.

https://academic.oup.com/advances/article/4/6/587/4595564

We need to eat a wider variety of fibre from food, according to current research. We are doing a great job of eating roughage like wheat bran which promotes bowel regularity. What we need to eat more of is fermentable fibres such as resistant starch, that help to support good gut bacteria.
We can feed our gut bacteria or microbiome by eating foods rich in resistant starch, e.g. lentils, peas and beans, cooked and cooled potato, cold pasta salad, firm bananas, and certain wholegrain products. Eating a diet with a variety of fibre is a great way to keep your digestive system healthy.

https://www.csiro.au/en/Research/BF/Areas/Nutrition-and-health/Nutrition-and-gut-health/Resistant-starch

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2018 09:02:55
ID: 1187032
Subject: re: Resistant starch

>cold pasta salad

It’s claimed that if you reheat cooked pasta that’s been allowed to cool, it’s even more “resistant”.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29629761

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2018 09:05:25
ID: 1187033

Bubblecar said:

>cold pasta salad

It’s claimed that if you reheat cooked pasta that’s been allowed to cool, it’s even more “resistant”.

It’s definitely more resistible.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2018 09:23:06
ID: 1187038

The only good gut bacteria is a dead gut bacteria.

That said, digestion-resistant starch seems to be a synonym for “low GI”. See this list of low GI foods.

Here’s Stanley’s APD short list of major contenders:

Legumes (kidney beans, baked beans, chickpeas)
Sweet potato
Low-fat dairy products (milk, yoghurt)
Many whole fruits (including apples and oranges, which are affordable year round)
Pasta (excepting ‘quick cook’ varieties)
Wholegrain breads
Wholegrain cereals (oats: one of the reigning champions of low-GI living).

It’s not by accident that I eat wholegrain bread rather than white bread.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2018 10:17:19
ID: 1187056

>The only good gut bacteria is a dead gut bacteria.

Tell that to my guts. Currently on heavy-duty antibiotics that have presumably killed off most of my gut bacteria.

Result: constipation.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2018 11:04:06
ID: 1187058

Bubblecar said:

Tell that to my guts. Currently on heavy-duty antibiotics that have presumably killed off most of my gut bacteria.

Wait for the dysentery to kick in.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2018 11:15:09
ID: 1187061

mollwollfumble said:

Bubblecar said:

Obviously some bacteria are pathogens but healthy gut flora are not just harmless but beneficial in aiding digestion.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2018 11:16:59
ID: 1187062

mollwollfumble said:

It’s not by accident that I eat wholegrain bread rather than white bread.

Haven’t eaten white bread since about 1960.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2018 11:25:00
ID: 1187065

Bubblecar said:

mollwollfumble said:

Bubblecar said:

Obviously some bacteria are pathogens but healthy gut flora are not just harmless but beneficial in aiding digestion.

Blue vein cheese will restore your gut flora and also help heal the festering weeping open wound in what’s left of your leg.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2018 11:27:48
ID: 1187066

Peak Warming Man said:

Bubblecar said:

mollwollfumble said:

Blue vein cheese will restore your gut flora and also help heal the festering weeping open wound in what’s left of your leg.

patrick duffy?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 04:11:27
ID: 1187288

Peak Warming Man said:

Aldi has (or used to have) a good stilton, which is my favourite blue vein cheese.

E coli will reestablish itself every time you go near a public toilet.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 11:09:01
ID: 1187344

Nice work, FSM.

:-)

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2018 18:53:10
ID: 1189141

Bump. For sibeen.

———————————————————————

(From Chat.)

sibeen said:

Bubblecar said:

Pasta tonight, done the way the smart kids are doing it. Cook the pasta, cool it right down then heat up again with the sauce etc.

Supposedly increases resistant starch resulting in fewer calories and more health benefits.

So letting the pasta cool and then reheating it lowers the energy content…I’m smelling bullshit.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2018 18:57:39
ID: 1189142

Michael V said:

Bump. For sibeen.

———————————————————————

(From Chat.)

sibeen said:

Bubblecar said:

Pasta tonight, done the way the smart kids are doing it. Cook the pasta, cool it right down then heat up again with the sauce etc.

Supposedly increases resistant starch resulting in fewer calories and more health benefits.

So letting the pasta cool and then reheating it lowers the energy content…I’m smelling bullshit.

So, it doesn’t lower the energy content of the food one jot then :)

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2018 19:00:41
ID: 1189143

sibeen said:

Michael V said:

Bump. For sibeen.

———————————————————————

(From Chat.)

sibeen said:

Nah, it changes how available the carbs are to the gut, which halves the blood sugar spike. There’s science and everything.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2018 19:01:55
ID: 1189144

sibeen said:

Michael V said:

Bump. For sibeen.

———————————————————————

(From Chat.)

sibeen said:

It lowers the accessible energy, which is what we normally mean by “calories”.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2018 19:03:07
ID: 1189146

Bubblecar said:

sibeen said:

Michael V said:

Bump. For sibeen.

———————————————————————

(From Chat.)

It lowers the accessible energy, which is what we normally mean by “calories”.

Not in the article you linked to it doesn’t.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/02/2018 19:28:58
ID: 1189155

This is what I meant:

So, according to scientist Dr Denise Robertson, from the University of Surrey, if you cook and cool pasta down then your body will treat it much more like fibre, creating a smaller glucose peak and helping feed the good bacteria that reside down in your gut. You will also absorb fewer calories, making this a win-win situation.

Reply Quote