Date: 11/02/2018 21:41:25
ID: 1187265
Subject: Structural engineering - an article

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2018/feb/11/roma-agrawal-structural-engineers-are-unsung-heroes-interview-shard

An article over on the Gran about a book about structural engineering.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2018 22:02:27
ID: 1187275
Subject: re: Structural engineering - an article

sibeen said:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2018/feb/11/roma-agrawal-structural-engineers-are-unsung-heroes-interview-shard

I can understand her disgust at the objectification of women on crib room walls, discusting.
I also agree with her about old bridges.
I really like old Roman bridges who’s engineering concepts have prevailed over the years.
I’ve got a photo of one somewhere, I’ll see if I can find it.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2018 22:06:54
ID: 1187276

Peak Warming Man said:

sibeen said:

I can understand her disgust at the objectification of women on crib room walls, discusting.
I really like old Roman bridges who’s engineering concepts have prevailed over the years.

Here it is, you can still see the key stones at the top of each arch.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/02/2018 22:09:06
ID: 1187277

Peak Warming Man said:

Peak Warming Man said:

sibeen said:

Here it is, you can still see the key stones at the top of each arch.

They have quite interesting central key stones that apparently keep the whole thing up.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 04:23:00
ID: 1187290

“Built: The Hidden Stories Behind Our Structures. She tells the human stories behind great structures.”

Which “great structures” I wonder? You could go badly wrong in the definition of “great” here.

“The Northumbria University footbridge in Newcastle that Agrawal helped design” looks remarkably like an Australian bridge I know.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 11:34:13
ID: 1187362

Thanks Mr. been.

Will report back later.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 15:05:41
ID: 1187441

mollwollfumble said:

“Built: The Hidden Stories Behind Our Structures. She tells the human stories behind great structures.”

Which “great structures” I wonder? You could go badly wrong in the definition of “great” here.

“The Northumbria University footbridge in Newcastle that Agrawal helped design” looks remarkably like an Australian bridge I know.

To be fair, I don’t think she is claiming the footbridge as one of the “great structures” she is talking about.

What she says about engineers being unsung heroes, I think that too.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 16:51:25
ID: 1187515

The Rev Dodgson said:

Indeed. I have to frequently explain to people the when a doctor makes a mistake only one person dies. When a engineer makes a mistake it could kill hundreds.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 16:52:23
ID: 1187516

mollwollfumble said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Indeed. I have to frequently explain to people the when a doctor makes a mistake only one person dies. When a engineer makes a mistake it could kill hundreds.

Politicians can cause mega deaths.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 16:54:40
ID: 1187518

mollwollfumble said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

SBS is running (or was not sure if more are forthcoming) on space engineering, really interesting and the sadness and blame some of them felt when things went wrong and people died.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 16:55:18
ID: 1187519

Tamb said:

mollwollfumble said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Politicians can cause mega deaths.

They can can’t they, sung as war heroes quite often but are really war criminals

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 16:56:49
ID: 1187521

Cymek said:

mollwollfumble said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

SBS is running (or was not sure if more are forthcoming) on space engineering, really interesting and the sadness and blame some of them felt when things went wrong and people died.

I’ve watched the episodes so far shown. Very moving.
Just read Scott Kelly’s book about his year on the ISS. Worth a read.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 17:01:08
ID: 1187523

Tamb said:

Cymek said:

mollwollfumble said:

It is good isn’t it, all old men and women most of them.
I was wondering if the women that are curators for the museums get to look at planes and rockets close up

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2018 05:28:35
ID: 1187636

Tamb said:

Cymek said:

mollwollfumble said:

How many episodes so far? I’ve watched three. One about building the first Saturn rocket, the hold-ups and the struggle to keep weight down. One about the LEM. And one about Skylab and the ISS.

> Just read Scott Kelly’s book about his year on the ISS. Worth a read.

Why? I’m looking for good books to read.

Reply Quote