Date: 12/02/2018 11:47:20
ID: 1187365
Subject: What Fate for Mungo Man?

First a skull, then a torso and eventually an entire skeleton emerged from the sands of south-west New South Wales.

When the bones of Australia’s oldest and most complete human were unearthed in the 1970s it rewrote history.

Dubbed Mungo Man after the dried-up lake basin where he was found, the skeleton dates back about 42,000 years.

But his removal from his burial site to a Canberra university 43 years ago caused his traditional owners great angst.

He’s now been returned to his country, but there’s a fresh dilemma to be resolved: Should Mungo Man be interred forever or should his remains still be accessible to science?

It’s a fraught question which goes to the heart of who owns the rights to access Mungo Man’s history.

Next month, traditional owners of the Willandra Lakes world heritage region — the Mutthi Mutthi, Ngyiampaa and Paakantyi/Barkandji peoples — will meet to begin discussions on his ultimate resting place.

“My preferred option is to bury him and put a nice plaque on him, rather than have him lying in a box waiting for someone to come and poke him again,” Ngyiampaa elder Roy Kennedy said, adding researchers “have had him long enough”.

But many scientists fear burying Mungo Man will close off any chance of future research.

“Future techniques may become available that will tell us so much more about the story of Mungo Man,” said Dr Jim Bowler, the geologist who found the skeleton.

“The prospect of possible future access must be resolved.”

Full report

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 11:50:03
ID: 1187367
Subject: re: What Fate for Mungo Man?

Can’t they just keep a leg bone, or something?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 12:07:44
ID: 1187368

“…the skeleton dates back about 42,000 years.”

“…Ngyiampaa elder Roy Kennedy said, adding researchers “have had him long enough”.”

Surely he’s already been buried long enough?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 12:12:31
ID: 1187369

Replace it with a replica and keep the real skeleton

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 12:17:07
ID: 1187371

Cymek said:

Replace it with a replica and keep the real skeleton

It was all that i had in the cupboard.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 12:19:28
ID: 1187373

I wonder what Mungo man would have wanted?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 15:35:25
ID: 1187445

Tau.Neutrino said:

Religious beliefs getting in the way again.
He’s dead people.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 15:41:13
ID: 1187449

Tamb said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

He’s dead people.

I suppose religious belief scorn doesn’t extend to your countries native population as it come across as offensive even if silly

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 15:45:54
ID: 1187451

Cymek said:

Tamb said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

He’s dead people.

I suppose religious belief scorn doesn’t extend to your countries native population as it come across as offensive even if silly

After 42000 years he’s just scientific. Nothing to do with native or otherwise.
Maybe they don’t want too much study done as it might turn out that he’s not aboriginal.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 15:47:58
ID: 1187452

Tamb said:

Cymek said:

Tamb said:

He’s dead people.

Maybe they don’t want too much study done as it might turn out that he’s not aboriginal.

The British really did get here first.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 15:49:01
ID: 1187454

Cymek said:

Tamb said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

He’s dead people.

Culture might be a better word, rather than religious.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 15:49:05
ID: 1187455

Cymek said:

Tamb said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

He’s dead people.

I am perfectly happy to disregard native population beliefs just as much as I disregard other religions.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 15:49:18
ID: 1187456

PermeateFree said:

Tamb said:

Cymek said:

The British really did get here first.

Martians.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 15:49:35
ID: 1187457

Tamb said:

Cymek said:

Tamb said:

He’s dead people.

By definition he is aboriginal…unless from outer space.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 15:50:48
ID: 1187459

PermeateFree said:

Cymek said:

Tamb said:

He’s dead people.

True

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 15:51:51
ID: 1187460

poikilotherm said:

Tamb said:

Cymek said:

I’d think it would be interesting for Aboriginal to find out about him, real information

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 15:52:50
ID: 1187462

poikilotherm said:

Tamb said:

Cymek said:

But possibly not the same ace as the present aboriginals. He may not even be Indigenous.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 15:53:51
ID: 1187464

Cymek said:

PermeateFree said:

Cymek said:

True

I think in aboriginal culture the two are one & the same.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 15:53:56
ID: 1187465

>>The DNA analysis, published today in Nature, again confirms modern Aboriginal Australians are descended from one founding population that arrived about 50,000 years ago when the continent was still connected to New Guinea.

But lead researcher Professor Alan Cooper of the Australian Centre for Ancient DNA said the study shows the first people then “rocketed” around the west and east coasts, meeting somewhere in southern Australia around 2,000 years later.

The analysis indicated some populations stayed in specific areas during that continental migration and have been continuously present in those same regions ever since — having connection to country for as long as 50,000 years.

“We can see a very pronounced and distinct pattern of genetic types around Australia that clearly says Aboriginal people haven’t moved ,” Professor Cooper said.<<

http://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2017-03-09/dna-confirms-aboriginals-have-long-lasting-connection-to-country/8336284

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 15:54:09
ID: 1187466

poikilotherm said:

Tamb said:

Cymek said:

But present day aboriginal people might be descended from a different ethnic group from Mungo Man.

Although why that would be a problem for anybody, I don’t know.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 15:54:30
ID: 1187467

Tamb said:

poikilotherm said:

Tamb said:

But possibly not the same ace as the present aboriginals. He may not even be Indigenous.

zomg.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 15:55:20
ID: 1187470

The Rev Dodgson said:

poikilotherm said:

Tamb said:

But present day aboriginal people might be descended from a different ethnic group from Mungo Man.

Although why that would be a problem for anybody, I don’t know.

yea that

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 15:55:35
ID: 1187471

Tamb said:

poikilotherm said:

Tamb said:

??

Doesn’t the fact that he was living here 40,000 years ago make him indigenous?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 15:56:05
ID: 1187472

poikilotherm said:

Tamb said:

poikilotherm said:

zomg.

ace = race

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 15:58:20
ID: 1187477

The Rev Dodgson said:

Tamb said:

poikilotherm said:

??

He may have arrived not long before he died.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 15:59:02
ID: 1187479

The Rev Dodgson said:

Tamb said:

poikilotherm said:

??

Maybe he just flew in for visit then was heading back to Timbuktu but got caught up dieing in the middle of fkn nowhere.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 16:02:34
ID: 1187482

I think we can take it for granted that he was a member of the population living in the region in which he died.

As for what happens to him now, that’s up to his custodians, which seems fair enough to me.

Who knows, they may decide to make him available for future study.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 16:22:05
ID: 1187502

Bubblecar said:

I think we can take it for granted that he was a member of the population living in the region in which he died.

As for what happens to him now, that’s up to his custodians, which seems fair enough to me.

Who knows, they may decide to make him available for future study.

Going on dna evidence it would seem they did not move around much from where they first settled and present day Aboriginals from the same regions are directly related to them. However, 42,000 years is a very long time and when should their concerns lessen to permit scientific study? There are some Aboriginal groups that are very interested in finding out as much as they can about their origins, but like different groups anywhere some will have a different opinion, which is why the fate of Mungo Man is such a difficult decision to make. It would be foolish to think Mungo Man could never reveal other important information concerning early man and the first settlement of Australia.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 16:45:52
ID: 1187510

> But his removal from his burial site to a Canberra university 43 years ago caused his traditional owners great angst.

Bullshit. It wasn’t until American black rights activists started preaching to the white Aborigines many years later that they ever thought about it.

Off topic but still relevent is an interesting tree burial custom of the aborigines of SE Australia. A dead man would be deposited in a tree hollow. When the ants have completely stripped the meat off the bone, the widow would have to take the bones out of the tree and was forced to carry them everywhere around with her. After the allotted time expired, the widow disposed of the bones.

Thank goodness aboriginal customs such as this have died out.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 16:49:13
ID: 1187511

mollwollfumble said:

> But his removal from his burial site to a Canberra university 43 years ago caused his traditional owners great angst.

Bullshit. It wasn’t until American black rights activists started preaching to the white Aborigines many years later that they ever thought about it.

Off topic but still relevent is an interesting tree burial custom of the aborigines of SE Australia. A dead man would be deposited in a tree hollow. When the ants have completely stripped the meat off the bone, the widow would have to take the bones out of the tree and was forced to carry them everywhere around with her. After the allotted time expired, the widow disposed of the bones.

Burial practices realistically should be as environmentally and cost friendly as possible after all usable organs have been taken

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 16:49:19
ID: 1187513

mollwollfumble said:

Leaving aside the question of what colour aboriginal people are, how do you know that?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 16:51:14
ID: 1187514

Cymek said:

mollwollfumble said:

Burial practices realistically should be as environmentally and cost friendly as possible after all usable organs have been taken

I have told people that I’d like to be donated to the Meaty Bites people to make some dogs happy.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 16:55:55
ID: 1187520

The Rev Dodgson said:

mollwollfumble said:

Leaving aside the question of what colour aboriginal people are, how do you know that?

Sometime Moll just makes stuff up. Part and parcel of very intelligent people confusing their opinions with facts.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 17:25:32
ID: 1187539

Rule 303 said:

Can’t they just keep a leg bone, or something?

Or, better, samples from over the entire skellington

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 17:27:50
ID: 1187541

The Rev Dodgson said:

Tamb said:

poikilotherm said:

??

Not trying to be funny: he could literally have been born outside Australia.

I would consider this very unlikely.

Reply Quote