Date: 12/02/2018 14:06:24
ID: 1187430
Subject: Winter Olympics

I turned on the TV a little while back just in time to catch the last runs of the gold medal round of the men’s luge. The guy in gold position had a relatively slow run and there was much rejoicing by some and gnashing of teeth by others.

It looks like the luger does little more than just lie there but there is a lot going on. He steers by using his calf muscles to flex the sled’s runners with his foot or by exerting opposite shoulder pressure in order to shift his weight. Aerodynamics are important as well.

Currently the women on the snow boards are catching a bit of wind and coming unstuck regularly.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 17:16:26
ID: 1187531
Subject: re: Winter Olympics

Ian said:

I turned on the TV a little while back just in time to catch the last runs of the gold medal round of the men’s luge. The guy in gold position had a relatively slow run and there was much rejoicing by some and gnashing of teeth by others.

It looks like the luger does little more than just lie there but there is a lot going on. He steers by using his calf muscles to flex the sled’s runners with his foot or by exerting opposite shoulder pressure in order to shift his weight. Aerodynamics are important as well.

Currently the women on the snow boards are catching a bit of wind and coming unstuck regular

Makes me wonder how well paralmpians do at the luge.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 17:22:37
ID: 1187536

At last. An activity more bearing than summer olympics, commonwealth games and tennis.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 17:23:57
ID: 1187538

bucolic3401 said:

At last. An activity more bearing than summer olympics, commonwealth games and tennis.

bearing?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 17:32:23
ID: 1187544

ID: 1187536

————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Could be bears in Sth Korea, but correct wording is boring. Sorry, late in the day.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 18:31:48
ID: 1187562

I remember Roy and HG describing of the steering of the luge as being critically dependent on positioning of the “dude” (wang, donga, dick). For the luge doubles they had so many ribald riffs.. well…

Roy and HG – Luge Doubles Explained

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 18:40:02
ID: 1187565

LOL but shouldn’t

This women stole a man’s car after he fell asleep (she was in his apartment) crashed it into security gates until the second one opened and drove the severely damage car until the engine caught on fire and burnt the car out.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 18:50:36
ID: 1187570

Cymek said:

LOL but shouldn’t

This women stole a man’s car after he fell asleep (she was in his apartment) crashed it into security gates until the second one opened and drove the severely damage car until the engine caught on fire and burnt the car out.

Some people will do near on anything for a medal.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 18:57:28
ID: 1187573

Cymek said:

LOL but shouldn’t

Now there’s a winter sport that would bring in the viewers…

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 19:21:15
ID: 1187579

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 19:46:54
ID: 1187587

Stumpy_seahorse said:

Shopped.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 20:21:39
ID: 1187593

Roy and HG are currently slumming it over at MMM

https://omny.fm/shows/the-sporting-probe-with-roy-hg-catchup/the-sporting-probe-11-02-2018

Dear Probesters, how often do you hear the word, ‘smut?’ This pressing question and so many more are answered in this week’s The Sporting Probe with Rampaging Roy Slaven and HG Nelson.

To wit:

If that doesn’t have you licking your lips in anticipation there’s breaking Winter Olympic news, Bledisloe Cup outrage and so much more in one of the finest Sporting Probes to ever push through the backed up stoolage in the S bend of sport. Dive in!

——

Warms up after about 20 mins

Reply Quote

Date: 12/02/2018 20:24:39
ID: 1187595

Ian said:

Roy and HG are currently slumming it over at MMM

https://omny.fm/shows/the-sporting-probe-with-roy-hg-catchup/the-sporting-probe-11-02-2018

Dear Probesters, how often do you hear the word, ‘smut?’ This pressing question and so many more are answered in this week’s The Sporting Probe with Rampaging Roy Slaven and HG Nelson.

To wit:

• What will be taught at the Bernard ‘The Cornflake’ Tomic High School? (Hint: avoiding the pitfalls of fame and fortune.)
  • Which sport will soon feature 24 robot Jennifer Hawkins one week and 24 AI Sophie Monks the next? (Hint: vrrooom, vrrooom.)
  • Why is The Sporting Probe advocating changing the dates of the Australian Open? (Hint: I’m A Celebrity, Get Me Out of Here.)

If that doesn’t have you licking your lips in anticipation there’s breaking Winter Olympic news, Bledisloe Cup outrage and so much more in one of the finest Sporting Probes to ever push through the backed up stoolage in the S bend of sport. Dive in!

——

Warms up after about 20 mins

Club Buggery was good, the Nissan Cedrics with Jane Skully was a highlight.
I think they peaked in Club Buggery.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2018 00:40:41
ID: 1187633

Ozzie Matty Graham has won Australia’s first medal in PyeongChang, snaring silver with a beautiful run in the moguls super final.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/02/2018 00:43:59
ID: 1187634

Ian said:

Ozzie Matty Graham has won Australia’s first medal in PyeongChang, snaring silver with a beautiful run in the moguls super final.

twas good.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2018 16:54:48
ID: 1188177

Australia’s Scotty James wins bronze medal in snowboard halfpipe to become his country’s first men’s snowboard medallist at a Winter Olympics.

James got his medal with his first run of 92 points but ultimately couldn’t match the silky skills of American Shaun White who snatched the gold with his last run of 97.75.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2018 17:03:51
ID: 1188181

Ian said:

Australia’s Scotty James wins bronze medal in snowboard halfpipe to become his country’s first men’s snowboard medallist at a Winter Olympics.

James got his medal with his first run of 92 points but ultimately couldn’t match the silky skills of American Shaun White who snatched the gold with his last run of 97.75.

Not the sort of thing Aussie kids could practise in their back yards.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2018 17:06:15
ID: 1188183

AMERICAN luger Emily Sweeney crashed out of the PyeongChang Olympics on Tuesday, losing control of her sled midway through the final run of the competition.

She was able to walk toward the finish about 10 minutes after the crash, albeit very gingerly and with some assistance from team and on-site medical personnel. A source from USA Luge confirmed to NBC Connecticut that though Sweeney is very sore, she does not have any broken bones.

Sweeney lost control around Curve 9, the track’s most treacherous spot, and then began careening all over the track. She wound up sliding feet-first up one curve toward the track roof before getting thrown from her sled and eventually tumbling to a stop.

The mother of Emily Sweeney looks on.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2018 17:09:28
ID: 1188184

Bubblecar said:

Ian said:

Was watching the snowboard halfpipe during lunch today. I found the manoeuvres to be absolutely jaw-dropping. I think some of the photography (the real time photography not the slo-mo) was done using a drone.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2018 17:09:36
ID: 1188185

Ian said:

AMERICAN luger Emily Sweeney crashed out of the PyeongChang Olympics on Tuesday, losing control of her sled midway through the final run of the competition.

She was able to walk toward the finish about 10 minutes after the crash, albeit very gingerly and with some assistance from team and on-site medical personnel. A source from USA Luge confirmed to NBC Connecticut that though Sweeney is very sore, she does not have any broken bones.

Sweeney lost control around Curve 9, the track’s most treacherous spot, and then began careening all over the track. She wound up sliding feet-first up one curve toward the track roof before getting thrown from her sled and eventually tumbling to a stop.

The mother of Emily Sweeney looks on.

“My sled what have you done my daughter”

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2018 17:53:24
ID: 1188196

Bubblecar said:

Ian said:

I think I heard the father owns a skate park thing and his ‘cross training’ is on skate board. (I am not an expert on sport.)

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2018 18:07:03
ID: 1188203

mollwollfumble said:

Bubblecar said:

Ian said:

Was watching the snowboard halfpipe during lunch today. I found the manoeuvres to be absolutely jaw-dropping. I think some of the photography (the real time photography not the slo-mo) was done using a drone.

not drone, camera on a fly line, like AFL/Cricket’s spidercam

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2018 18:08:52
ID: 1188204

sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

Ian said:

I think I heard the father owns a skate park thing and his ‘cross training’ is on skate board. (I am not an expert on sport.)

that was the japanese bloke whose dad owned the skate park.
James’ parents drove him 6 hours to perisher quite often apparently

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2018 18:09:26
ID: 1188205

Stumpy_seahorse said:

mollwollfumble said:

Bubblecar said:

a tethered drone?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2018 18:12:44
ID: 1188207

JudgeMental said:

Stumpy_seahorse said:

mollwollfumble said:

a tethered drone?

they run on motorised pulleys along a cable.
got a close look at one last year at clipsal that taversed from the hairpin along pit straight to the chicane, damn fast they are

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2018 18:20:16
ID: 1188208

Stumpy_seahorse said:

sarahs mum said:

Bubblecar said:

Ah. Aren’t you glad I am not an expert?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2018 18:21:53
ID: 1188209

sarahs mum said:

Stumpy_seahorse said:

sarahs mum said:

Ah. Aren’t you glad I am not an expert?

a drip under pressure?

:P

Reply Quote

Date: 14/02/2018 19:18:02
ID: 1188221

Still surprised that among NZ’s 118 Olympic medals, only one is from the winter games.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/02/2018 17:08:49
ID: 1188658

silver for australia

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2018 11:25:20
ID: 1192644

Gold medal match is on in the Curling.

Chess on Ice

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2018 12:24:57
ID: 1192670

Ian said:

Chess on Ice

I recommend this movie:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_with_Brooms

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2018 12:40:16
ID: 1192673

buffy said:

Ian said:

Chess on Ice

I recommend this movie:

Ok. Ta.

5.9/10… imdb

It wasn’t a great movie but it was kinda fun. There were certainly lots of Canadian in-jokes.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2018 13:24:09
ID: 1192682

Up the Swiss

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2018 13:25:21
ID: 1192683

Ian said:

Up the Swiss

So who won the curling and was anyone sent off?

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2018 13:27:55
ID: 1192684

Peak Warming Man said:

Ian said:

Up the Swiss

SWE

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2018 13:35:21
ID: 1192689

Peak Warming Man said:

Ian said:

Up the Swiss

One of the Russians curlers got done for drugs and doping, if that means anything.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2018 14:18:34
ID: 1192693

Ian said:

buffy said:

Ian said:

Chess on Ice

I recommend this movie:

Ok. Ta.

5.9/10… imdb

It wasn’t a great movie but it was kinda fun. There were certainly lots of Canadian in-jokes.

You probably should know I rather like Paul Gross.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2018 17:23:35
ID: 1192756

There have been plenty of knee injuries for those on skis in particular. Some, including Australian aerialist Lydia Lassila, have competed with torn or missing ACLs. How they manage this ifiik. It means that the knee is unstable.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2018 17:27:13
ID: 1192758

Ian said:

There have been plenty of knee injuries for those on skis in particular. Some, including Australian aerialist Lydia Lassila, have competed with torn or missing ACLs. How they manage this ifiik. It means that the knee is unstable.

Yeah, is bad. Had a torn/separated ACL. I was worried about going down stairs, let alone hurtling through the air.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/02/2018 17:27:16
ID: 1192759

Ian said:

Yeah, is bad. Had a torn/separated ACL. I was worried about going down stairs, let alone hurtling through the air.

Reply Quote