Date: 18/02/2018 10:54:03
ID: 1189644
Subject: Software advice

I want to make a short video by panning and zooming on some still images.

The main priorities are easy to learn, not difficult, and short flat learning curve.

If it produces professional looking results, that would be good too.

Oh, and free, or nearly so.

Any recommendations?

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2018 11:13:36
ID: 1189647
Subject: re: Software advice

The Rev Dodgson said:

The main priorities are easy to learn, not difficult, and short flat learning curve.

If it produces professional looking results, that would be good too.

Oh, and free, or nearly so.

Any recommendations?

If you find one, let me know.

The only way I know to make movies is the free Microsoft “Movie Maker”. https://www.windows-movie-maker.org/ They still have free versions available for old versions of windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10)

My only way would to display the still images (on screen or in print) and pan and zoom using a video camera. Then import the video from the video camera into Movie Maker.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2018 11:19:59
ID: 1189649

Windows Photo Gallery has a “pan and zoom” option on “slideshow”. How much you can control it, or if you can save it, I do not know.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2018 11:24:31
ID: 1189650

WIndows Movie Maker will do it. Import your photos to Movie Maker, and there is a “pan and zoom” on “auto movie themes”. Dunno yet if you can control the “pan and zoom” and time transitions yet.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2018 11:33:48
ID: 1189652

Woodie said:

WIndows Movie Maker will do it. Import your photos to Movie Maker, and there is a “pan and zoom” on “auto movie themes”. Dunno yet if you can control the “pan and zoom” and time transitions yet.

Then go into “animations” and select your pan/zoom type.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2018 11:36:21
ID: 1189655

Thanks Woodie and moll. I’ll give mm a go.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2018 11:40:03
ID: 1189657

Hmm, Windows 10 tells me:

Windows Movie Maker, part of Windows Essentials 2012, isn’t supported on Windows 10. Websites that offer free downloads of Movie Maker are not offering the real thing, and those downloads may contain malware, viruses, or hidden costs.
Instead, try making movies with the Photos app that comes with Windows 10. The latest version includes the ability to create videos with music, text, motion, filters, and 3D effects.

Suppose I’ll try the Photos app.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2018 11:48:09
ID: 1189665

The Rev Dodgson said:

Windows Movie Maker, part of Windows Essentials 2012, isn’t supported on Windows 10. Websites that offer free downloads of Movie Maker are not offering the real thing, and those downloads may contain malware, viruses, or hidden costs.
Instead, try making movies with the Photos app that comes with Windows 10. The latest version includes the ability to create videos with music, text, motion, filters, and 3D effects.

You’ll also see “duration” tab on the above screen. Just click each pic, then set as “pan and zoom”, “duration” and pan/zoom type. then add titles, music and save ya movie. :) Simples.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2018 11:54:23
ID: 1189671

The Rev Dodgson said:

I’ve got Windows 10, and Movie Maker 2012.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2018 11:57:28
ID: 1189674

Woodie said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

OK, I’ll go and look for an illicit download site then.

The Photos App is bloody annoying. It does the new Windows – we’ll decide which files will settle on this computer, and the locations where they settle, thing.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2018 12:01:15
ID: 1189676

The Rev Dodgson said:

Woodie said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

The Photos App is bloody annoying. It does the new Windows – we’ll decide which files will settle on this computer, and the locations where they settle, thing.

My Win 10 machine is currently at the doctors so I can’t contribute. My emergency Vista laptop is a bit back-time.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2018 12:01:58
ID: 1189677

The Rev Dodgson said:

Woodie said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

It’s not right.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2018 12:32:55
ID: 1189683

Movie maker 2012 now installed, and the annoyance rating is near-infinitely less than the so called photo app, so thanks again.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2018 12:34:18
ID: 1189684

The Rev Dodgson said:

Movie maker 2012 now installed, and the annoyance rating is near-infinitely less than the so called photo app, so thanks again.

You gonna be uploading choob videos?

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2018 12:42:41
ID: 1189688

Bubblecar said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

You gonna be uploading choob videos?

Possibly.

If it ends up viewable :)

Copyrights a bit of a problem on u-tube though.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2018 12:53:01
ID: 1189698

Well that was easy.

I thought I was going to have to spend a few weeks editing pans and zooms, but I think I’ll just leave t with the random choices of the software.

Just need to fix up the beginning and end, and it should be ready to go.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2018 14:35:17
ID: 1189775

The Rev Dodgson said:

Appreciate the advice.

It looks like Microsoft upgrades from old software to new are no longer “no better than before”, they’re seriously worse.

I was beginning to think the same of their “visual studio” compiler, the older the version the better it was.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2018 14:47:47
ID: 1189783

mollwollfumble said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Appreciate the advice.

It looks like Microsoft upgrades from old software to new are no longer “no better than before”, they’re seriously worse.

I was beginning to think the same of their “visual studio” compiler, the older the version the better it was.

Not sure about Visual Studio (but then I haven’t used it seriously for a few years), but certainly all the “apps” I have tried have been uniformly terrible.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2018 21:47:14
ID: 1189928

Video of Cambodian temples now on line at:

Room of Roots

Reply Quote

Date: 18/02/2018 23:19:24
ID: 1189972

The original Windows Movie Maker from the XP days was a fantastic piece of software. Free, easy to use. made an acceptable video. MM 2012 was still good. Then they discontinued the most useful software they’d ever made.

I now use kdenlive. It’s originally Linux software – it’s free. It’s powerful. It has a very steep learning curve and it’s idiosyncratic to to point of making you want to spend money.

Another good option is VSDC. It’s free version is very good. It’s paid version is better.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2018 08:26:44
ID: 1189990

Teleost said:

The original Windows Movie Maker from the XP days was a fantastic piece of software. Free, easy to use. made an acceptable video. MM 2012 was still good. Then they discontinued the most useful software they’d ever made.

I now use kdenlive. It’s originally Linux software – it’s free. It’s powerful. It has a very steep learning curve and it’s idiosyncratic to to point of making you want to spend money.

Another good option is VSDC. It’s free version is very good. It’s paid version is better.

Given that Microsoft has stopped making good software, what do they make their money from now?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2018 09:33:09
ID: 1190001

The Rev Dodgson said:

This is called the Ken Burns Effect

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2018 11:05:12
ID: 1190037

fsm said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

That’s rather strange.

Clicking your link takes me to a page saying Wikipedia does not have a page on the Ken Burns Effect, but searching for Ken Burns Effect takes me to a Wikipedia page on the Ken Burns Effect (with an address that looks identical to the one in your link).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Burns_effect

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2018 11:08:29
ID: 1190042

mollwollfumble said:

Teleost said:

Given that Microsoft has stopped making good software, what do they make their money from now?

Mostly from Windows and Office I imagine, both of which are still the default option on the great majority of commercial computers, which I believe are still sold in quite large numbers.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2018 11:13:21
ID: 1190048

Teleost said:

As Woody said, you can still download Movie Maker, and it installs and works just fine with Windows 10. I downloaded from:
http://download.cnet.com/Windows-Live-Essentials-2012/3000-20418_4-10805747.html

That includes other stuff, but I just deselected everything except Movie Maker.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2018 13:49:59
ID: 1190140

The Rev Dodgson said:

Room of Roots

So did anyone look at that?

Does it work OK?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2018 13:55:05
ID: 1190144

The Rev Dodgson said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Room of Roots

Does it work OK?

Apart from sucking me into looking at a slide show, it does indeed work fine…

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2018 14:02:29
ID: 1190147

The Rev Dodgson said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

Room of Roots

Does it work OK?

Well done :)

I’ll have to fire up Movie Maker and muck about with it.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2018 14:41:21
ID: 1190160

poikilotherm said:

OK, fair comment :)

But it is good to know it works on other computers.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2018 14:58:51
ID: 1190162

The Rev Dodgson said:

poikilotherm said:

The music is from the Cheese Shop Sketch.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2018 15:02:41
ID: 1190163

Is Barnie safe?

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2018 15:04:07
ID: 1190164

oops, sorry

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2018 15:09:18
ID: 1190168

Peak Warming Man said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

poikilotherm said:

I’m pretty sure it’s not, but I see what you mean.

Or hear what you mean anyway.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2018 15:10:41
ID: 1190170

The Rev Dodgson said:

Peak Warming Man said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

I’m pretty sure it’s not, but I see what you mean.

Lay off the LSD rev.

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2018 22:57:11
ID: 1190284

The Rev Dodgson said:

fsm said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

That’s rather strange.

Clicking your link takes me to a page saying Wikipedia does not have a page on the Ken Burns Effect, but searching for Ken Burns Effect takes me to a Wikipedia page on the Ken Burns Effect (with an address that looks identical to the one in your link).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Burns_effect

Very strange, indeed.

The only difference between the links is that the one which doesn’t work ends with a slash symbol – I didn’t think that would have made a difference.

Reply Quote