Date: 19/02/2018 12:15:42
ID: 1190095
Subject: Humanzee

News.com had a story on the Humanzee and I looked it up in Wikipedia.
The claims of the creation of them seems dubious to say the least, but I wonder if we could do it today especially with access to medical technology such as CRISPR. Also I wonder if we could fuse chromosome 2 and 4 in apes and if so what would happen

Humans have one pair fewer chromosomes than other apes, with ape chromosomes 2 and 4 fused in the human genome into a large chromosome (which contains remnants of the centromere and telomeres of the ancestral 2 and 4).

Reply Quote

Date: 19/02/2018 14:08:34
ID: 1190150
Subject: re: Humanzee

Cymek said:

News.com had a story on the Humanzee and I looked it up in Wikipedia.
The claims of the creation of them seems dubious to say the least, but I wonder if we could do it today especially with access to medical technology such as CRISPR. Also I wonder if we could fuse chromosome 2 and 4 in apes and if so what would happen

Humans have one pair fewer chromosomes than other apes, with ape chromosomes 2 and 4 fused in the human genome into a large chromosome (which contains remnants of the centromere and telomeres of the ancestral 2 and 4).

I once looked up the mapping between human and chimp chromosomes. There are a very large number of bulk movements of genetic material between one chromosome and another. Untangling that before hybridisation would be a major pain.

Just checked web. There are 577 bulk movements of genetic material separating human and chimp DNA.

Reply Quote