Date: 17/04/2018 21:18:22
ID: 1213905
Subject: Circumstance

Which might make me consider making a thread about circumstance.
Sometimes it may benefit one to be born on an acting set. Children of stars often end up following the same route or not.
However, being there seems to be the circumstance one is in.
On the other hand, one may be well endeared with all the skills to be able to make use of the circumstance but otherwise be bereft of the circumstance to best suit the attributes of aptitude to that circumstance.

ie: being a born actor but never being shown a stage.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/04/2018 21:19:56
ID: 1213908
Subject: re: Circumstance

roughbarked said:

Sometimes it may benefit one to be born on an acting set. Children of stars often end up following the same route or not.
On the other hand, one may be well endeared with all the skills to be able to make use of the circumstance but otherwise be bereft of the circumstance to best suit the attributes of aptitude to that circumstance.

It’s the question that everyone asks themselves – what might i have been if…?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/04/2018 21:21:24
ID: 1213910

captain_spalding said:

roughbarked said:

if if and ands were pots and pans there’d be no work for tinkers.

very old jungle saying.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/04/2018 21:25:38
ID: 1213913

roughbarked said:

That’s quitter talk

Reply Quote

Date: 17/04/2018 21:28:05
ID: 1213916

Arts said:

roughbarked said:

That’s quitter talk

No,this is quitter talk:

Reply Quote

Date: 17/04/2018 21:29:01
ID: 1213918

Bogsnorkler said:

captain_spalding said:

roughbarked said:

very old jungle saying.

Well, I’ve always been a tinker. will have a go at anything you might want me to try and as someone who will fix your bike, put your spectacle frames back together when the optometrist wants to send away for new frames or resynch your chronograph, graft your specific cannabis variety or any other weird question you can put to me that may actually preferrably be done by other hands than yours.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/04/2018 21:33:58
ID: 1213925

Arts said:

roughbarked said:

That’s quitter talk

Good. You said it. :)

It is true however that more people are born into circumstance thta has nowhere to do with where they may end up.
There are also those whom are trapped by various incidences which preclude their talents from ever reaching far more than local outreach. It is excellent for their community if their talents are noticed but even then, there are incidences of negligible interest in various individuals for whatever reasons you may wish to reconstruct.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/04/2018 21:38:22
ID: 1213927

roughbarked said:

Arts said:

roughbarked said:

That’s quitter talk

It is true however that more people are born into circumstance thta has nowhere to do with where they may end up.
There are also those whom are trapped by various incidences which preclude their talents from ever reaching far more than local outreach. It is excellent for their community if their talents are noticed but even then, there are incidences of negligible interest in various individuals for whatever reasons you may wish to reconstruct.

I don’t agree. History is littered with incidences of people with passions overcoming ‘circumstance’ and breaking into their fields. Also littered with people given every opportunity and not pursuing. Also many people in the acting field who come from acting families changing their names to try to ‘make it on their own’… also well to do people ending up criminals while people from ‘criminal families’ doing the opposite.
Opportunity is not a form of circumstance, it it a pursuit for those who want to run the race.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/04/2018 21:41:38
ID: 1213931

Arts said:

roughbarked said:

Arts said:

That’s quitter talk

I don’t agree. History is littered with incidences of people with passions overcoming ‘circumstance’ and breaking into their fields. Also littered with people given every opportunity and not pursuing. Also many people in the acting field who come from acting families changing their names to try to ‘make it on their own’… also well to do people ending up criminals while people from ‘criminal families’ doing the opposite.
Opportunity is not a form of circumstance, it it a pursuit for those who want to run the race.

OK. I’m going to reduce littered to peppered by alerting you to the incidence per capita factoid.
Wanting to run the race may always be hampered by the very circumstance this thread is about.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/04/2018 21:55:01
ID: 1213944

roughbarked said:

Have you been watching “Who do you think you are?” about Noni Hazelhirst tonight? She came from an acting family for three generations back.

But in two of those three generations the husband/father ran off with a showgirl. We all have our problems.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/04/2018 21:57:00
ID: 1213946

roughbarked said:

Arts said:

roughbarked said:

OK. I’m going to reduce littered to peppered by alerting you to the incidence per capita factoid.
Wanting to run the race may always be hampered by the very circumstance this thread is about.

We are the masters of our own destiny. Get on the roundabout if you want in. If you are too ‘whatever’ that’s not circumstances fault.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/04/2018 22:00:48
ID: 1213952

mollwollfumble said:

We all have our problems.

It does appear thus though Arts has pointed out that it ain’t neccessarily so.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/04/2018 22:02:04
ID: 1213954

Arts said:

roughbarked said:

Arts said:

We are the masters of our own destiny. Get on the roundabout if you want in. If you are too ‘whatever’ that’s not circumstances fault.

Yeah but the roundabout. Now there’s a dizzy place.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/04/2018 22:10:12
ID: 1213969

> History is littered with incidences of people with passions overcoming ‘circumstance’ and breaking into their fields.

Yes. There’s a form of Murphy’s law that explains this. Here it is. Sodd’s first law.

Or to put it another way, you’ve got to be damn lucky.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/04/2018 22:15:26
ID: 1213975

mollwollfumble said:

> History is littered with incidences of people with passions overcoming ‘circumstance’ and breaking into their fields.

Yes. There’s a form of Murphy’s law that explains this. Here it is. Sodd’s first law.

or to be present in the circumstance.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/04/2018 22:17:02
ID: 1213979

Sodd’s first law is:

“When a person attempts a task, he or she will be thwarted in that task by the unconscious intervention of some other presence (animate or inanimate). Nevertheless, some tasks are completed, since the intervening presence is itself attempting a task and is, of course, subject to interference.”

Reply Quote

Date: 17/04/2018 22:46:17
ID: 1213990

mollwollfumble said:

Sodd’s first law is:

“When a person attempts a task, he or she will be thwarted in that task by the unconscious intervention of some other presence (animate or inanimate). Nevertheless, some tasks are completed, since the intervening presence is itself attempting a task and is, of course, subject to interference.”

I am not here to argue with any viewpoint on the issue. That however does not imply that I cannot agree. ;)
in such I have to also agree with Arts and others that sometimes people win and indeed it is down to dedication to a purpose at any cost. There are many many others of equal ability who may never have the means to meet the cost.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/04/2018 22:51:28
ID: 1213991

roughbarked said:

mollwollfumble said:

Sodd’s first law is:

I am not here to argue with any viewpoint on the issue. That however does not imply that I cannot agree. ;)
in such I have to also agree with Arts and others that sometimes people win and indeed it is down to dedication to a purpose at any cost. There are many many others of equal ability who may never have the means to meet the cost.

Indeed in even the most primitive of circumstance, exists opportunity for those capable of perceiving any particular compatible niche.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/04/2018 22:56:47
ID: 1213992

roughbarked said:

roughbarked said:

mollwollfumble said:

Sodd’s first law is:

Indeed in even the most primitive of circumstance, exists opportunity for those capable of perceiving any particular compatible niche.

Each and every one of us, has our own circumstance.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/04/2018 23:00:10
ID: 1213993

I am however interested in how many were born into being able to afford to make a better circumstance?

Reply Quote

Date: 17/04/2018 23:09:07
ID: 1213994

Anyway which it is looked at, circumstance determines what we learn which may lead us to other circumstance.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/04/2018 23:15:03
ID: 1213995

if you shrink circumstance you could call it situation, shrink it further you might call it vicissitude.

lovely word that last.

lovely’s a lovely word too.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/04/2018 23:15:16
ID: 1213996

roughbarked said:

Anyway which it is looked at, circumstance determines what we learn which may lead us to other circumstance.

Which is how science attempts to fool insects before they damage crops.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/04/2018 23:16:30
ID: 1213997

transition said:

if you shrink circumstance you could call it situation, shrink it further you might call it vicissitude.

lovely word that last.

lovely’s a lovely word too.

Hang onto your lovely. ;)

Reply Quote

Date: 17/04/2018 23:32:56
ID: 1214002

There is always a circumstance.

a Scotsman who wasn’t appreciated by everybody but by circumstance could have made Billy Connolly envious, appeared to have attached himself to me by association from my relation to another who also had introduced me to this fisherman of many waters.

His advice to me was, “learn when to apply the filter”.
OK
It could be said that I still haven’t but at least I can admit it.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/04/2018 00:20:15
ID: 1214011

Bogsnorkler said:

captain_spalding said:

roughbarked said:

very old jungle saying.

Well, that’s it then.

When was the last time you saw a tinker at work? I’ve never seen one. Mrs V bought me a wok a few years back. It was hand beaten, so I suppose there are just a few tinkers left.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/04/2018 00:30:45
ID: 1214016

Arts said:

roughbarked said:

Arts said:

One of the talents is to not get scared off at any point along the way. I knew my destiny. I could’t achieve that because I was scared off by the bully-boy teams along the way. It’s terribly disappointing. Still (picks self up and dusts self off), I ended up here. There are truckloads worse places and circumstances one could find oneself in…

I guess I’m saying that in the rack of talents necessary for achievement is the correct psychology to achieve.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/04/2018 00:43:13
ID: 1214025

99.9999% of achievement doubtful comes with notoriety, or fame. It’s something much more mundane I would expect.

unless it’s a another class of achievement.

perhaps some ideologically influenced view of what achievement is, which raises the question of to what extent it is healthy to have it ideologically defined.

Reply Quote

Date: 18/04/2018 10:12:17
ID: 1214141

You get children (mostly in the USA) that are groomed from birth to become senators and follow in the fathers (usually) footsteps, smacks of privilege and class like they are born to the role, deserving or not.

Reply Quote