Date: 20/04/2018 10:19:18
ID: 1214904
Subject: Would balloons float on other planets and moons in our solar system

Could you get balloons to float into the atmospheres of the planets and moons in our solar system.
I imagine you’d need different materials and gases but would they actually float upwards in a similar manner to how they do on Earth.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2018 10:21:59
ID: 1214907
Subject: re: Would balloons float on other planets and moons in our solar system

I would say, if it has an atmosphere and the gas in the a balloon is lighter than the atmospheric gases, and the total density of the balloon (including materials) is less than the atmosphere then I can’t see why not…

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2018 10:22:01
ID: 1214908
Subject: re: Would balloons float on other planets and moons in our solar system

Cymek said:

Could you get balloons to float into the atmospheres of the planets and moons in our solar system.
I imagine you’d need different materials and gases but would they actually float upwards in a similar manner to how they do on Earth.

yes

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2018 10:27:16
ID: 1214909

dv said:

Cymek said:

yes

So I wonder if you could have a lander that releases a number of them with equipment attached and they send data back to the lander

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2018 10:28:32
ID: 1214910

Cymek said:

dv said:

Cymek said:

yes

So I wonder if you could have a lander that releases a number of them with equipment attached and they send data back to the lander

Yes.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2018 10:31:09
ID: 1214912

https://mars.nasa.gov/programmissions/missions/missiontypes/balloons/

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2018 10:35:33
ID: 1214913

dv said:

https://mars.nasa.gov/programmissions/missions/missiontypes/balloons/

Danke

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2018 10:50:32
ID: 1214921

dv said:

Cymek said:

dv said:

yes

Yes.

That’s affirmative, Houston.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2018 16:23:14
ID: 1215061

dv said:

Cymek said:

dv said:

yes

Yes.

This has already been done on Venus. The Russians released two balloons from the lander into the clouds that took measurements there sending the data direct to an orbiter and from there back to Earth.

The combination of gases that floats balloons on Earth will work equally well in the atmospheres of Venus, Mars and Titan. For planets and moons with thinner atmospheres it becomes more difficult to lift a weight (such as the weight of the balloon itself). I think you’d have real trouble getting a balloon to fly on Pluto, Io and Triton because the atmosphere of all three is about 100,000 times thinner than Earth’s.

For Uranus and Neptune, a hydrogen balloon could work. For Jupiter and Saturn it would have to be a “hot hydrogen” balloon. In none of these four cases could you make a lander.

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2018 21:19:15
ID: 1215257

There is a certain neighbor I would like to tie onto a weather balloon…

Reply Quote

Date: 20/04/2018 21:24:03
ID: 1215260

Tau.Neutrino said:

There is a certain neighbor I would like to tie onto a weather balloon…

She can hear your thoughts you know. She’ll flush the toilet at three in the morning now.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/04/2018 03:23:28
ID: 1215659

> For planets and moons with thinner atmospheres it becomes more difficult to lift a weight (such as the weight of the balloon itself). I think you’d have real trouble getting a balloon to fly on Pluto, Io and Triton because the atmosphere of all three is about 100,000 times thinner than Earth’s.

Which makes me wonder which of the three would be easiest to fly a balloon in. And how difficult it would be. The ability of a balloon to fly depends on density difference (nothing to do with pressure).

A high altitude balloon on Earth managed 53 km up, where the air density is 0.00068 kg/m 3 .
That’s 1,800 times thinner than at Earth’s surface. Still a long way short of Pluto, Io and Triton.

Darn difficult to find information on the density of Pluto’s atmosphere, not a thing about it since the New Horizons visit. But did find this
which translates to a density of Pluto’s atmosphere about equivalent to 80 km up on Earth, where the air density is 80,000 times thinner than at Earth’s surface. So the estimate of 100,000 times thinner is not too far out.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/04/2018 08:30:17
ID: 1215673

So to fly on Pluto, Io or Triton, you’d need a balloon with a volume near 60,000 * 170,000 cubic metres.

That’s a diameter in the ballpark of 2.2 km.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/04/2018 08:36:39
ID: 1215677

mollwollfumble said:

So to fly on Pluto, Io or Triton, you’d need a balloon with a volume near 60,000 * 170,000 cubic metres.

Um, that’s based on 60,000 cubic metres from the figure above. I’m not sure how they measure that volume because volume depends strongly on altitude. So I’m not sure if that diameter is correct. But you get the idea.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/04/2018 08:49:23
ID: 1215683

mollwollfumble said:

mollwollfumble said:

Um, that’s based on 60,000 cubic metres from the figure above. I’m not sure how they measure that volume because volume depends strongly on altitude. So I’m not sure if that diameter is correct. But you get the idea.

Yes, i see. You’re going to need more than a few packets of party balloons.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/04/2018 09:35:28
ID: 1215694

mollwollfumble said:

The ability of a balloon to fly depends on density difference (nothing to do with pressure).

How can it have nothing to do with pressure when density is proportional to pressure?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/04/2018 04:24:47
ID: 1216030

The Rev Dodgson said:

mollwollfumble said:

The ability of a balloon to fly depends on density difference (nothing to do with pressure).

How can it have nothing to do with pressure when density is proportional to pressure?

OK. What I mean if that the lift is calculated directly from the density difference and volume.
Lift = (ρ 1 – ρ 2 ) * v
Where lift is in kg.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/04/2018 09:29:35
ID: 1216058

mollwollfumble said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

mollwollfumble said:

OK. What I mean if that the lift is calculated directly from the density difference and volume.
Lift = (ρ 1 – ρ 2 ) * v
Where lift is in kg.

OK, that makes sense now :)

Reply Quote

Date: 24/04/2018 15:15:53
ID: 1216487

This question has piqued my interest, how about a kite?

Reply Quote

Date: 30/04/2018 14:38:19
ID: 1218466

Jing Joh said:

This question has piqued my interest, how about a kite?

A kite. Hmm. Hadn’t thought of that.

I used to have typical wind speeds for planets somewhere. I’ve seen a kite flown startlingly high in Jamaica. At least a km high. Higher than the clouds on a sunny day.

“The highest altitude by a single kite is 4,879.54 m (16,009 ft) and was achieved by Robert Moore (Australia) in Cobar, New South Wales, Australia on 23 September 2014. The record was attempted at Cable Downs, a 50,000 acre sheep station in far western New South Wales, Australia.”

For a kite, the lift is proportional to the square of the wind speed, and proportional to the atmosphere’s density.

On Earth, wind speeds average about 5 m/s.

On Venus, wind speeds at high altitude are very fast, but not near the surface. About 1.5 m/s.

On Titan, wind speeds near the surface are even less, about
0.2 m/s.

On Mars, the wind speed on the surface averages 10 m/s over the whole year. Winds up to 30 m/s and perhaps higher have been recorded.

So kite flying would tend to be easiest on Earth, but may be feasible on Venus, Titan and Mars. Most difficult on Titan.

Reply Quote