Date: 20/04/2018 23:58:06
ID: 1215312
Subject: recycling class

had a weird experience recently, watching the various commentary on TV regarding some country not taking our garbage anymore.

suddenly everyone talking about it sounded like the queen, like english aristocracy.

doubtful they sounded different really. Surely not.

the comic in me just now conjured images (an analogy) of people waking up one morning and finding their sewage pipe had been dug up, and redirected onto their front door step. People like to flush and forget.

anyway, on a more serious note, there’s going to have to be some manufacturing of sorts to absorb the recycled end products, a demand, and it has to make a profit somehow.

some prices will go up, and it’ll employ (more) people.

so how’s it going to happen, the pressure’s on.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/04/2018 00:06:55
ID: 1215315
Subject: re: recycling class

some other shithole country might step up and take our rubbish.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/04/2018 00:17:26
ID: 1215316

party_pants said:

…/cut/… take our rubbish.

I think it’s going to be a good change.

essential

Reply Quote

Date: 21/04/2018 01:18:07
ID: 1215323

party_pants said:

or state in the case of Qld, look out Vic and SA, Qld wont be taking NSW waste anymore, so they will have to find another state to use as a garbage dump…

Reply Quote

Date: 21/04/2018 01:20:48
ID: 1215324

boppa said:

party_pants said:

or state in the case of Qld, look out Vic and SA, Qld wont be taking NSW waste anymore, so they will have to find another state to use as a garbage dump…

Surely there’s a huge abandoned mine somewhere in NSW that will make a convenient hole?

Reply Quote

Date: 21/04/2018 01:23:46
ID: 1215326

apparently not as they have been using Qld as a dumping ground for the last half decade…

Reply Quote

Date: 21/04/2018 01:25:24
ID: 1215328

boppa said:

apparently not as they have been using Qld as a dumping ground for the last half decade…

Obviously QLD are not charging them enough.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/04/2018 01:33:32
ID: 1215330

party_pants said:

boppa said:

Obviously QLD are not charging them enough.

Apparently we cant as it is now in breach of the constitution to reintroduce fees (Qld cut waste fees in 2012 in an effort to stop people dumping rubbish in the bush, that didnt stop, and NSW waste removalists now truck semiloads of waste over the border to dump it

Reply Quote

Date: 21/04/2018 01:36:36
ID: 1215332

Apparently it is considered ‘interstate trade and putting any new measures (ie reintroducing fees in Qld) is against the Ozzie constitution, so as usual the only winners will be the lawyers….

Reply Quote

Date: 21/04/2018 01:41:42
ID: 1215334

boppa said:

Apparently it is considered ‘interstate trade and putting any new measures (ie reintroducing fees in Qld) is against the Ozzie constitution, so as usual the only winners will be the lawyers….

There must be a way around it. Introduce fees but allow every household in QLD a few “tip passes” each year to dump for free.
It is what the local councils do here. One council closes it’s tip, the others introduce fees but issue tip passes for their own ratepayers. I think I get 4 per year.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/04/2018 08:02:00
ID: 1215360

I was misled by the title of this thread

Reply Quote

Date: 21/04/2018 08:27:50
ID: 1215366

Arts said:

I was misled by the title of this thread

Compensation is available on completion, in triplicate, of Form AR-7-L-15, and its lodgement with the Telecommunication Industry Ombudsman. Allow 6 – 10 decades for processing.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/04/2018 08:29:34
ID: 1215367

transition said:

had a weird experience recently, watching the various commentary on TV regarding some country not taking our garbage anymore.

suddenly everyone talking about it sounded like the queen, like english aristocracy.

doubtful they sounded different really. Surely not.

the comic in me just now conjured images (an analogy) of people waking up one morning and finding their sewage pipe had been dug up, and redirected onto their front door step. People like to flush and forget.

anyway, on a more serious note, there’s going to have to be some manufacturing of sorts to absorb the recycled end products, a demand, and it has to make a profit somehow.

some prices will go up, and it’ll employ (more) people.

so how’s it going to happen, the pressure’s on.

Ipswich.

The only class on recycling that I’ve seen was a children’s program (Scope or something like that) where they visited a recycling plant and interviewed them on what sort of materials would and would not be recycled.

The main take-away message from that for me is – never put styrofoam in the recycle bin, it flies about in the air making a mess of the plant, they hate it.

That was a long time ago now. We need a new recycling class to teach people exactly what can and should, what can and shouldn’t, and what mustn’t be recycled. Having a recycling number is not necessarily a reliable guide to what can be recycled. So many people put the wrong stuff in a recycling bin. Even me, I wasn’t sure whether an empty printer ink cartridge should go in the recycle bin or not.

The class would include putting a recycling value in cents per kg on every item that that is recycled. Explaining in detail about items that contain more than one material, such as milk cartons and electronics. Explaining contamination, how much pizza cheese left in a pizza box is too much. And covering everything that a household is likely to throw away in a typical year.

Perhaps a guide should be – if in doubt, leave it out.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/04/2018 08:31:55
ID: 1215369

brisbane city is probably going to scrap recycling because it will cost another 2 mil to continue with the process. the cost will be passed onto the rate payers is why they are saying it won’t be financially feasible.

Reply Quote

Date: 21/04/2018 08:33:32
ID: 1215371

monkey skipper said:

brisbane city is probably going to scrap recycling because it will cost another 2 mil to continue with the process. the cost will be passed onto the rate payers is why they are saying it won’t be financially feasible.

Oh, well, at least that should mean that the Council rates won’t go up this year. Right?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/04/2018 19:34:39
ID: 1216262

party_pants said:

boppa said:

party_pants said:

Surely there’s a huge abandoned mine somewhere in NSW that will make a convenient hole?

Ardlethan tin mine has been proposed several times but each time has not gone ahead. Nobody wants landfill. Everything is recyclable in some way and if it is designed as single use, it probably should be thta there should be receptacles for it like there are for cigarette butts.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/04/2018 19:37:23
ID: 1216263

I liked what thta Tasmanian said on the news. “if it cannot be re-used, don’t buy it”.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/04/2018 20:37:30
ID: 1216273

roughbarked said:

party_pants said:

boppa said:

Ardlethan tin mine has been proposed several times but each time has not gone ahead. Nobody wants landfill. Everything is recyclable in some way and if it is designed as single use, it probably should be thta there should be receptacles for it like there are for cigarette butts.

> Everything is recyclable in some way

Everything is recyclable in some way – true. Especially true for nuclear waste.

Everything has a non-negative value as a raw material for recycling – false.

As I said earlier, there needs to be a recycling class where people learn the value of each thing they wish to discard in cents per kg.

Reply Quote

Date: 25/04/2018 23:57:32
ID: 1216834

BURN IT

Reply Quote

Date: 26/04/2018 03:32:10
ID: 1216848

wookiemeister said:

BURN IT

high temperature incinerator?

+ power from?

Reply Quote

Date: 30/04/2018 14:11:30
ID: 1218439

transition said:

wookiemeister said:

BURN IT

+ power from?

It’d be close to power neutral. Aluminium cans can provide the high temperature for example. Think thermite.

I don’t like incineration of garbage because it not only produces pollutants, it also robs animals and fungi of their food.

Reply Quote

Date: 30/04/2018 14:13:07
ID: 1218441

mollwollfumble said:

transition said:

wookiemeister said:

BURN IT

+ power from?

It’d be close to power neutral. Aluminium cans can provide the high temperature for example. Think thermite.

I don’t like incineration of garbage because it not only produces pollutants, it also robs animals and fungi of their food.

Aluminium is a bit too expensive to be wisely used as a fuel.

Reply Quote

Date: 30/04/2018 14:30:14
ID: 1218455

>I don’t like incineration of garbage because it not only produces pollutants, it also robs animals and fungi of their food.

certainly don’t want them too close to people, even with a high-temp’ clean burn.

i’m thinking 10km+ from people.

Reply Quote