Date: 17/05/2018 15:11:18
ID: 1226648
Subject: Kim the Spider (DA ALERT contains spider)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6PAClh1IZo

This movie is based on work reported in “Energy and time optimal trajectories in exploratory jumps of the spider Phidippus regius” published in Scientific Reports on the 8th of May 2018. The paper is available online at www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-25227-9.

Pretty interesting.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/05/2018 17:08:20
ID: 1226689
Subject: re: Kim the Spider (DA ALERT contains spider)

I agree. Thanks for the thread.

Jumping spiders are fun.

The jumping robot got me thinking, too. Jumping toys are nothing new, but there aren’t many robots that are good at jumping.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/05/2018 17:18:02
ID: 1226697

> Jumping was one of the first forms of locomotion to be used as a model for scaling.

I’ve often wondered how jump distance (height from a stationary start) ought to scale with size. Could it be that jump height is independent of size? For example a flea can higher than an elephant can.

Reply Quote

Date: 17/05/2018 22:25:37
ID: 1226911

mollwollfumble said:

> Jumping was one of the first forms of locomotion to be used as a model for scaling.

I’ve often wondered how jump distance (height from a stationary start) ought to scale with size. Could it be that jump height is independent of size? For example a flea can higher than an elephant can.

Can a spider jump vertically upwards from a stationary start?

I only know a few animals who can. A cat, springbok, kangaroo and human can. I’ve seen a pigeon try to fly vertically upwards from a stationary start. Not quite successfully.

Reply Quote