Date: 22/06/2018 18:39:31
ID: 1243148
Subject: Age Test

Recently, I was listening to a border-control television program that had an arrival passenger with fake documents claiming to be much younger than he appeared. Eventually, border-control officers submitted him to an age test.

I’ve never heard of a formal age test. What does such a test involve? A Google search didn’t produce anything pertinent, and Wikipedia has no such topic.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/06/2018 18:42:15
ID: 1243151
Subject: re: Age Test

KJW said:

Recently, I was listening to a border-control television program that had an arrival passenger with fake documents claiming to be much younger than he appeared. Eventually, border-control officers submitted him to an age test.

I’ve never heard of a formal age test. What does such a test involve? A Google search didn’t produce anything pertinent, and Wikipedia has no such topic.

For under 18s they look at the wrist bones but not sure what they are looking for and it is supposedly unreliable for slightly built Asians.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/06/2018 18:48:23
ID: 1243154

AwesomeO said:

KJW said:

For under 18s they look at the wrist bones but not sure what they are looking for and it is supposedly unreliable for slightly built Asians.

But surely particular medical conditions could render this unreliable as an official measure.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/06/2018 18:49:48
ID: 1243155

KJW said:

AwesomeO said:

KJW said:

But surely particular medical conditions could render this unreliable as an official measure.

Yeah, it’s all controversial. In Germany there were issues with kids having facial hair.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/06/2018 18:51:44
ID: 1243157

AwesomeO said:

KJW said:

I haven’t heard of this. I can think of four methods offhand:

Reply Quote

Date: 22/06/2018 19:04:21
ID: 1243164

KJW said:

IIRC, this was years ago with these arriving on boats. To determine their age. Had something to do with xray wrists or bones or sumfin. It was highly challenged as being a dubious method or sumfin’.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/06/2018 19:08:06
ID: 1243167

mollwollfumble said:

AwesomeO said:

KJW said:

I haven’t heard of this. I can think of four methods offhand:

• wisdom teeth
  • general knowledge – sometimes used to test age on computer games
  • DNA test, telomere length
  • Lie detector

It was done as part of those arriving on boats claiming they were under 18. (treated differently), and they suspected they were fibbing.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/06/2018 19:10:57
ID: 1243170

mollwollfumble said:

• wisdom teeth
  • Lie detector

I had considered “DNA test, telomere length” as a possibility, but even this could depend on medical conditions. Bear in mind that we are considering official tests with legal consequences, and so would have to be very reliable over a wide variety of people.

I don’t see how “general knowledge” could be used as a reliable test. People can know things prior to their age, and do not necessarily know things consistent with their age. And a person pretending to be younger can fake not knowing something that an older person would know.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/06/2018 19:21:43
ID: 1243174

Woodie said:

IIRC, this was years ago with these arriving on boats.

In the television program, it was a Nigerian male arriving at (IIRC) Heathrow Airport. I didn’t actually see the program, I could only hear it, so I didn’t actually see the person or how old he looked.

Part of the reason I ask the question is wondering whether such television programs are real or staged.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/06/2018 19:46:37
ID: 1243178

KJW said:

mollwollfumble said:
  • wisdom teeth
  • Lie detector

I had considered “DNA test, telomere length” as a possibility, but even this could depend on medical conditions. Bear in mind that we are considering official tests with legal consequences, and so would have to be very reliable over a wide variety of people.

Well yeah.

In theory.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/06/2018 19:58:47
ID: 1243180

The Rev Dodgson said:

KJW said:

Well yeah.

In theory.

Fair point.

However, I was hoping someone might know what test is actually used, rather than just theoretically possible ways to determine a living person’s age (though that is itself interesting).

Reply Quote

Date: 22/06/2018 20:15:57
ID: 1243182

Have a look here:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21428644-300-with-no-paper-trail-can-science-determine-age/

And Google the term “chronological age test refugee” for more references.

Reply Quote

Date: 22/06/2018 20:16:54
ID: 1243183

https://www.humanrights.gov.au/publications/age-uncertainty-inquiry-treatment-individuals-suspected-people-smuggling-offences-who-7

Reply Quote

Date: 22/06/2018 20:29:26
ID: 1243187

buffy said:

Have a look here:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21428644-300-with-no-paper-trail-can-science-determine-age/

Thanks buffy. :-)

Reply Quote

Date: 23/06/2018 11:30:47
ID: 1243265

KJW said:

buffy said:

Have a look here:

Thanks buffy. :-)

But does that matter in this case? An age test gioves an age range of +-2 years or so. Surely that’s good enough to stop a 25 year old from pretending to be an 18 year old. And since the age limit is meant to separate child from adult, a scientific test would actually be a better guide than a cut-off age.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/06/2018 16:11:48
ID: 1243381

Spotted this article.

Using crime scene bloodstains to determine a person’s age

Reply Quote

Date: 23/06/2018 16:13:03
ID: 1243382

Tau.Neutrino said:

Spotted this article.

Can use fresh blood as well?

Reply Quote

Date: 23/06/2018 16:15:55
ID: 1243383

Tau.Neutrino said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Spotted this article.

Can use fresh blood as well?

Looks like they can.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/06/2018 16:20:07
ID: 1243385

Looks like US immigration uses bone or dental forensic examinations, which are quite inaccurate.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/06/2018 16:21:20
ID: 1243386

Tau.Neutrino said:

Spotted this article.

> Without blood, the detective’s life would be a lot harder. Since the average person carries around 4.7 to 5.5 liters (1.2 to 1.5 gal) of blood, it tends to get splashed around crime scenes a lot when violence is involved. Though distressing, it’s also a great help

LOL.

> Specifically, the team was looking for molecular subunits in two types of hemoglobin – fetal hemoglobin (HbF), which is found in newborns, and adult hemoglobin (HbA).

Nice, but does it work.

> So far, the team has been able to correctly place the adult and adolescent samples with an accuracy of 99 percent and the infants with 100 percent. One advantage was that the process is not only fast, but non-destructive. Also, no sample preparation was required.

It works.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/06/2018 16:28:40
ID: 1243387

mollwollfumble said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Spotted this article.

> Without blood, the detective’s life would be a lot harder. Since the average person carries around 4.7 to 5.5 liters (1.2 to 1.5 gal) of blood, it tends to get splashed around crime scenes a lot when violence is involved. Though distressing, it’s also a great help

LOL.

> Specifically, the team was looking for molecular subunits in two types of hemoglobin – fetal hemoglobin (HbF), which is found in newborns, and adult hemoglobin (HbA).

Nice, but does it work.

> So far, the team has been able to correctly place the adult and adolescent samples with an accuracy of 99 percent and the infants with 100 percent. One advantage was that the process is not only fast, but non-destructive. Also, no sample preparation was required.

It works.

Stamps thread COMPLETED 23/6/2018

Reply Quote

Date: 23/06/2018 16:45:47
ID: 1243399

Reply Quote

Date: 23/06/2018 16:48:35
ID: 1243401

Ian said:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-23/crying-toddler-at-us-mexico-border-in-photo-not-separated/9902142

Reply Quote

Date: 23/06/2018 16:50:33
ID: 1243402

Peak Warming Man said:

Ian said:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-23/crying-toddler-at-us-mexico-border-in-photo-not-separated/9902142

It’s the vibe…

Reply Quote

Date: 23/06/2018 17:05:09
ID: 1243405

Ian said:

Peak Warming Man said:

Ian said:

It’s the vibe…

Its an I dont care vibe, seems to be spreading across the white house and into congress.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/06/2018 17:08:58
ID: 1243408

Tau.Neutrino said:

Ian said:

Peak Warming Man said:

It’s the vibe…

Its an I dont care vibe, seems to be spreading across the white house and into congress.

The Americans could expand a bit on their I DONT CARE vibe

and vaporize border crosses using a laser from space.

just to make sure.

Reply Quote

Date: 23/06/2018 18:31:48
ID: 1243443

mollwollfumble said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Spotted this article.

LOL.

Nice, but does it work.

It works.

it worked for them to qualify age group, but the ‘adult’ age range is quite a large span, for that matter so is adolescent

Reply Quote

Date: 23/06/2018 19:12:42
ID: 1243454

Arts said:

mollwollfumble said:

Tau.Neutrino said:

Spotted this article.

LOL.

Nice, but does it work.

It works.

it worked for them to qualify age group, but the ‘adult’ age range is quite a large span, for that matter so is adolescent

In total agreement with you. I’m just amazed that it worked at all.

Reply Quote