Date: 6/07/2018 00:56:51
ID: 1248970
Subject: Ecosystems across Australia are collapsing under climate change

>>To the chagrin of the tourist industry, the Great Barrier Reef has become a notorious victim of climate change. But it is not the only Australian ecosystem on the brink of collapse.

Our research, recently published in Nature Climate Change, describes a series of sudden and catastrophic ecosystem shifts that have occurred recently across Australia.

These changes, caused by the combined stress of gradual climate change and extreme weather events, are overwhelming ecosystems’ natural resilience.<<

https://theconversation.com/ecosystems-across-australia-are-collapsing-under-climate-change-99367?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=facebookbutton

Compliments of SSSF.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 10:14:36
ID: 1249019
Subject: re: Ecosystems across Australia are collapsing under climate change

How often do you read in the same sentence, pristine wilderness and future tourist attraction.
Probably about time we stop doing this and abandon many tourist destinations that are wrecking the very wilderness that attract tourist in the first place. Try to repair the damage and then leave them alone. Yes it will cost jobs and money into economies but its still a small price to pay

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 12:18:43
ID: 1249040

>natural resilience

term resilience sneaking in there, someone should catch up with the guy that started that contagion.

beat him, and while repetitively tell him he’s got unnatural fragility

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 12:23:48
ID: 1249042

transition said:

>natural resilience

term resilience sneaking in there, someone should catch up with the guy that started that contagion.

Is it the wording you dislike

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 12:24:15
ID: 1249043

transition said:

>natural resilience

Why is using the word resilience such a terrible sin?

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 12:25:11
ID: 1249044

I looked up contagion.
It’s a movie.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 12:28:31
ID: 1249045

The Rev Dodgson said:

transition said:

>natural resilience

it’s not, rather humor on my part, but it did seem to take off after an American chap visited Australia, though might have been in the air already.

it sort of reached meme status a while back.

I gather you do agree that the opposite of natural resilience would be something like unnatural fragility.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 12:39:45
ID: 1249049

transition said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

transition said:

>natural resilience

it’s not, rather humor on my part, but it did seem to take off after an American chap visited Australia, though might have been in the air already.

I gather you do agree that the opposite of natural resilience would be something like unnatural fragility.

What about natural feedback loop

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 12:43:35
ID: 1249051

transition said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

transition said:

>natural resilience

Sure, the opposite of unnatural is natural, and the opposite of resilience is fragility. But one of the two-word terms is not strictly the opposite of the other.

I would imagine a tetrahedron (triangular pyramid) where each apex is labelled with one of the words “natural, resilience, unnatural, fragility”. Any point within that tetrahedron could be “something” mapped to those four terms.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 12:49:14
ID: 1249057

Cymek said:

transition said:

The Rev Dodgson said:

all I was getting at, was that if you read and understand the expression natural resilience, do you automatically load into your head the concept of unnatural fragility, or something like it?

of the lesser, just resilience alone, do you unconsciously load a negative or adverse concept of something approximating fragile?

it’s a meme, a mini meme, part of the miniature ideologies.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 12:54:56
ID: 1249063

transition said:

Cymek said:

transition said:

all I was getting at, was that if you read and understand the expression natural resilience, do you automatically load into your head the concept of unnatural fragility, or something like it?

of the lesser, just resilience alone, do you unconsciously load a negative or adverse concept of something approximating fragile?

It might be a good thing as it makes people respect the environment more if they think its fragile

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 13:08:10
ID: 1249067

Cymek said:

transition said:

Cymek said:

It might be a good thing as it makes people respect the environment more if they think its fragile

i’m not sure what the language is doing.

the comic imagery in my head is one of a Nazi solute.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 13:18:38
ID: 1249075

transition said:

Cymek said:

transition said:

Why has the Nazi dissolved?

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 15:12:19
ID: 1249121

Michael V said:

transition said:

Cymek said:

yeah salute, both my ordinary spelling abilities and spell check conspired.

anyway, if you imagine a Nazi salute while saying resilience enthusiastically you’ll get the idea. I actually did it, an imitation, stood up and tried it, to entertain the lady. I think Adolf would have approved.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 15:22:32
ID: 1249124

transition said:

Michael V said:

transition said:

anyway, if you imagine a Nazi salute while saying resilience enthusiastically you’ll get the idea. I actually did it, an imitation, stood up and tried it, to entertain the lady. I think Adolf would have approved.

I had comic imagery of a Nazi dissolving.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 15:24:35
ID: 1249126

Michael V said:

transition said:

Michael V said:

I had comic imagery of a Nazi dissolving.

I blame Salvador Dali.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 17:03:26
ID: 1249158

Cymek said:

transition said:

Cymek said:

It is fragile. It can also be robust.

Reply Quote