Date: 6/07/2018 14:16:17
ID: 1249104
Subject: Origins of deadly frog fungus traced to Korea

>>If you’re a fan of frogs, then unfortunately you’ve probably heard of Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis (Bd). More commonly known as chytrid fungus, it’s been decimating amphibian populations around the world.

Bd causes a disease known as chytridiomycosis, which attacks the skin of frogs, toads and salamanders. As a result, the animals lose control of their ability to regulate their water and electrolyte levels, ultimately leading to heart failure. The geographic origins of the fungus have remained a mystery, limiting attempts to stop it at its source.<<

The above has decimated many frog populations throughout the world including Australia.

https://newatlas.com/frog-fungus-origin/55331

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 14:20:32
ID: 1249106
Subject: re: Origins of deadly frog fungus traced to Korea

PermeateFree said:

>>If you’re a fan of frogs, then unfortunately you’ve probably heard of Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis (Bd). More commonly known as chytrid fungus, it’s been decimating amphibian populations around the world.

Bd causes a disease known as chytridiomycosis, which attacks the skin of frogs, toads and salamanders. As a result, the animals lose control of their ability to regulate their water and electrolyte levels, ultimately leading to heart failure. The geographic origins of the fungus have remained a mystery, limiting attempts to stop it at its source.<<

The above has decimated many frog populations throughout the world including Australia.

Is the why they say not to remove frogs and or displace them into other areas

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 14:43:32
ID: 1249113

Cymek said:

PermeateFree said:

The spread of disease is a big one. There is usually some reason why frog colonies live in different places even within the same species, they may have inherited a genome that is of assistance to them, but a disadvantage to others and so could displace the original colony.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 14:47:06
ID: 1249115

PermeateFree said:

Cymek said:

PermeateFree said:

The spread of disease is a big one. There is usually some reason why frog colonies live in different places even within the same species, they may have inherited a genome that is of assistance to them, but a disadvantage to others and so could displace the original colony.

Can you catch the tadpoles and raise them to frogs and then release then, would more survive this way

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 15:20:50
ID: 1249123

Cymek said:

PermeateFree said:

Cymek said:

Can you catch the tadpoles and raise them to frogs and then release then, would more survive this way

Not sure what you mean? To escape the fungal disease or introduce them to a new environment. As the disease only affects the adult frogs then those raised from tadpoles would do no better. To protect the tadpoles from predators and the drying of their puddles, then yes more would survive, but placed in a new environment could still displace local species.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 15:29:16
ID: 1249128

PermeateFree said:

Cymek said:

PermeateFree said:

Not sure what you mean? To escape the fungal disease or introduce them to a new environment. As the disease only affects the adult frogs then those raised from tadpoles would do no better. To protect the tadpoles from predators and the drying of their puddles, then yes more would survive, but placed in a new environment could still displace local species.

The later as I do remember from childhood tadpole’s dying when the water dried up.
Local species is how specific ?, if they came from across the road would that still displace a colony

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 15:42:55
ID: 1249129

Cymek said:

PermeateFree said:

Cymek said:

The later as I do remember from childhood tadpole’s dying when the water dried up.
Local species is how specific ?, if they came from across the road would that still displace a colony

Shouldn’t think so, the adult frogs move naturally over a much larger range, so basically part of the same community.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 15:49:04
ID: 1249131

PermeateFree said:

Cymek said:

PermeateFree said:

Shouldn’t think so, the adult frogs move naturally over a much larger range, so basically part of the same community.

Ok thanks

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 17:10:56
ID: 1249166

Cymek said:

PermeateFree said:

It is why the nvironment should be left the way it is rather than change it.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 17:18:14
ID: 1249170

roughbarked said:

Cymek said:

PermeateFree said:

Can you not rescue tadpoles from a drying up water and try to raise them to frogs and let them go

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 17:19:48
ID: 1249173

roughbarked said:

Cymek said:

PermeateFree said:

Then there is bugger all food.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 17:22:17
ID: 1249177

Michael V said:

roughbarked said:

Cymek said:

There needn’t be so many of us.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 17:23:01
ID: 1249180

roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

roughbarked said:

The Thanos solution ?

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 17:32:54
ID: 1249190

roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

roughbarked said:

That cat is well and truly out of the bag, unfortunately. Who would you propose to kill or sterilise?

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 17:38:22
ID: 1249201

Michael V said:

roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

That cat is well and truly out of the bag, unfortunately. Who would you propose to kill or sterilise?

I won’t be around a lot longer and I’ve done my bit. Zero population growth and millions of trees. Lotsa dead cats and other ferals.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 17:43:23
ID: 1249207

roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

roughbarked said:

I won’t be around a lot longer and I’ve done my bit. Zero population growth and millions of trees. Lotsa dead cats and other ferals.

Pol Pot and Hitler didn’t abrogate their responsibilities in this regard, either…

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 17:47:46
ID: 1249214

Michael V said:

roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

Pol Pot and Hitler didn’t abrogate their responsibilities in this regard, either…

Maybe but it isn’t my style.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 17:56:15
ID: 1249224

roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

roughbarked said:

Anyway, I agree that the world is well and truly overpopulated, and that that overpopulation is causing many of the significant problems I see for other species and the planet in general.

I can’t see any fair, equitable and sensible way of fast population reduction, either. In a way, I think it’s best I just resign myself to the problem, and ignore it.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 18:01:46
ID: 1249230

Michael V said:

roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

Anyway, I agree that the world is well and truly overpopulated, and that that overpopulation is causing many of the significant problems I see for other species and the planet in general.

I can’t see any fair, equitable and sensible way of fast population reduction, either. In a way, I think it’s best I just resign myself to the problem, and ignore it.

We can individually do things ourselves. I chose to not have any more than two children and planted a lot of trees, gave trees to others to plant, educated, became a vegetarian for the earth’s sake.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 18:02:55
ID: 1249231

roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

roughbarked said:

We can individually do things ourselves. I chose to not have any more than two children and planted a lot of trees, gave trees to others to plant, educated, became a vegetarian for the earth’s sake.

Otherwise we have to go with th flow and allow nature to take its course. No doubt it will and we will become the shortest lived of all species.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 18:13:19
ID: 1249241

Michael V said:

roughbarked said:

Michael V said:

Yes we have chosen our bed around 10.000 years ago and having being given that respite, we made the most of it by having as many children as we could. We really now have nowhere to go.

Reply Quote

Date: 6/07/2018 18:15:08
ID: 1249243

PermeateFree said:

Michael V said:

roughbarked said:

Yes we have chosen our bed around 10.000 years ago and having being given that respite, we made the most of it by having as many children as we could. We really now have nowhere to go.

That is about it.

Reply Quote

Date: 7/07/2018 03:33:36
ID: 1249428

Make Room, Make Room

Reply Quote

Date: 7/07/2018 03:34:38
ID: 1249429

Make Room, Make Room

Reply Quote