Date: 8/07/2018 14:23:43
From: Rule 303
ID: 1249829
Subject: Le Tour 18

Froome has put the bike down and taken a pretty good tumble in Stage 1.

Seems to be battling on…

Video of Froome eating it

Reply Quote

Date: 8/07/2018 14:26:26
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1249831
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Rule 303 said:


Froome has put the bike down and taken a pretty good tumble in Stage 1.

Seems to be battling on…

Video of Froome eating it

Not a Froome fan but I hope that wasn’t too hurty.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/07/2018 14:30:36
From: Woodie
ID: 1249833
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Vincenzo Neeeeeeeeeebalee!!

Reply Quote

Date: 8/07/2018 16:04:43
From: AwesomeO
ID: 1249870
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

shakes fist at Le Tour It knocks of the SBS Sunday Night Nazis.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/07/2018 16:16:44
From: Neophyte
ID: 1249871
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

AwesomeO said:


shakes fist at Le Tour It knocks of the SBS Sunday Night Nazis.

Used to be that Friday nights were WW2 night on SBS

Reply Quote

Date: 8/07/2018 16:18:50
From: AwesomeO
ID: 1249872
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Neophyte said:


AwesomeO said:

shakes fist at Le Tour It knocks of the SBS Sunday Night Nazis.

Used to be that Friday nights were WW2 night on SBS

For a long time it was Saturday Night Nazis which rolls off the tongue a bit easier.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/07/2018 18:48:30
From: Rule 303
ID: 1249939
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

You’d have to say our Ritchie is looking pretty good this year.
Then Yatesy.
And Froome for third.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/07/2018 18:50:32
From: Stumpy_seahorse
ID: 1249941
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Rule 303 said:


You’d have to say our Ritchie is looking pretty good this year.
Then Yatesy.
And Froome for third.

>.>

<.<

>.>

…moi?

Reply Quote

Date: 8/07/2018 18:55:39
From: Rule 303
ID: 1249946
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Stumpy_seahorse said:


Rule 303 said:

You’d have to say our Ritchie is looking pretty good this year.
Then Yatesy.
And Froome for third.

>.>

<.<

>.>

…moi?

Other Yatesy.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/07/2018 20:09:42
From: Rule 303
ID: 1249993
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

I take it we’re all aware that Mitcheltom Scott have refused to take Caleb because he’s signed to another team, and due to leave in six months?

Poor form, IMO. He would have given them sprint wins.

Reply Quote

Date: 8/07/2018 22:45:50
From: sibeen
ID: 1250038
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

I know the Australian team is now called Mitchelton – Scott but in my head I keep doing Michelson – Morley.

What a nerd.

just to keep a certain unnamed pedant happy

Reply Quote

Date: 9/07/2018 22:54:30
From: party_pants
ID: 1250377
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Oh, it’s the boring bloody time trial today.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/07/2018 21:28:05
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1250754
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

I’ll watch a bit of tonight’s.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/07/2018 21:37:40
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1250757
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


I’ll watch a bit of tonight’s.

Even though we don’t get Phil & Paul.

American TV gets Phil & Paul, we have to have Australians.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/07/2018 21:56:37
From: sibeen
ID: 1250764
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

I’ll watch a bit of tonight’s.

Even though we don’t get Phil & Paul.

American TV gets Phil & Paul, we have to have Australians.

I don’t mind Keenan and McEwen at all.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/07/2018 21:58:18
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1250766
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

sibeen said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

I’ll watch a bit of tonight’s.

Even though we don’t get Phil & Paul.

American TV gets Phil & Paul, we have to have Australians.

I don’t mind Keenan and McEwen at all.

They could at least make an effort to sound English.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/07/2018 21:59:48
From: sibeen
ID: 1250769
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


sibeen said:

Bubblecar said:

Even though we don’t get Phil & Paul.

American TV gets Phil & Paul, we have to have Australians.

I don’t mind Keenan and McEwen at all.

They could at least make an effort to sound English.

Why?

Reply Quote

Date: 10/07/2018 22:00:46
From: party_pants
ID: 1250771
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


sibeen said:

Bubblecar said:

Even though we don’t get Phil & Paul.

American TV gets Phil & Paul, we have to have Australians.

I don’t mind Keenan and McEwen at all.

They could at least make an effort to sound English.

McEwan seems very good with his pronunciation of place names.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/07/2018 22:01:20
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1250774
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

party_pants said:


Bubblecar said:

sibeen said:

I don’t mind Keenan and McEwen at all.

They could at least make an effort to sound English.

McEwan seems very good with his pronunciation of place names.

Then he should make an effort to speak with a French accent.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/07/2018 22:02:23
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1250777
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

sibeen said:


Bubblecar said:

sibeen said:

I don’t mind Keenan and McEwen at all.

They could at least make an effort to sound English.

Why?

Hours on end of Australian accents is rather harsh on the ear.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/07/2018 22:03:41
From: sibeen
ID: 1250782
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


sibeen said:

Bubblecar said:

They could at least make an effort to sound English.

Why?

Hours on end of Australian accents is rather harsh on the ear.

Hmm, I don’t find that.

Reply Quote

Date: 10/07/2018 22:14:08
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1250797
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Gabriel!

:)

Reply Quote

Date: 10/07/2018 22:17:22
From: party_pants
ID: 1250799
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


Gabriel!

:)

I’m streaming it via the Smart TV app. No Gabriel.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/07/2018 08:06:53
From: Ian
ID: 1250835
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

They keep falling down and breaking things. How many did we lose last night?

Watching the finish I think I can see what’s going on. Their riding is all over the shop! Wobble, wobble.. swerving from one side of the road to the other. In any other sport they’d be pinged for moving off their line, not signalling etc

Reply Quote

Date: 11/07/2018 08:40:49
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1250837
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Ian said:


They keep falling down and breaking things. How many did we lose last night?

Watching the finish I think I can see what’s going on. Their riding is all over the shop! Wobble, wobble.. swerving from one side of the road to the other. In any other sport they’d be pinged for moving off their line, not signalling etc

I only watched about 45 minutes of it before going to bed. But I’m up a bit later today and will go to bed a bit later and be up a bit later tomorrow etc.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/07/2018 08:42:55
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1250838
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

I been away.

Is it Drug Addicts On Wheels time again, already?

Reply Quote

Date: 11/07/2018 09:13:50
From: Michael V
ID: 1250844
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

captain_spalding said:


I been away.

Is it Drug Addicts On Wheels time again, already?

I suppose so. Those interested are taking about it.

yawn

Reply Quote

Date: 11/07/2018 09:20:07
From: Ian
ID: 1250848
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


Ian said:

They keep falling down and breaking things. How many did we lose last night?

Watching the finish I think I can see what’s going on. Their riding is all over the shop! Wobble, wobble.. swerving from one side of the road to the other. In any other sport they’d be pinged for moving off their line, not signalling etc

I only watched about 45 minutes of it before going to bed. But I’m up a bit later today and will go to bed a bit later and be up a bit later tomorrow etc.

Between Le Tour and the pointy ends of both the World Cup and Wimbledon the overnight TV watching schedule is brutal. Those cave divers had it easy by comparison.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/07/2018 09:38:12
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1250864
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Ian said:

Between Le Tour and the pointy ends of both the World Cup and Wimbledon the overnight TV watching schedule is brutal. Those cave divers had it easy by comparison.

I can dig that.

If i was struggling through freezing muddy water a kilometre underground in spaces narrower than the average coffin in an attempt to help rescue a dozen or so hapless, helpless, somewhat debilitated kids who have no experience of the techniques necessary for them to reach safety, i’d be vastly consoled with the thought that it meant that i didn’t have to watch a lot of boofheads on bikes or endure endlessly repeated grunts, yelps and screams from people who have no tolerance for someone in the watching crowd who can’t stifle a cough.

And i do meant that most sincerely.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/07/2018 09:43:10
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1250868
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

captain_spalding said:


Ian said:

Between Le Tour and the pointy ends of both the World Cup and Wimbledon the overnight TV watching schedule is brutal. Those cave divers had it easy by comparison.

I can dig that.

If i was struggling through freezing muddy water a kilometre underground in spaces narrower than the average coffin in an attempt to help rescue a dozen or so hapless, helpless, somewhat debilitated kids who have no experience of the techniques necessary for them to reach safety, i’d be vastly consoled with the thought that it meant that i didn’t have to watch a lot of boofheads on bikes or endure endlessly repeated grunts, yelps and screams from people who have no tolerance for someone in the watching crowd who can’t stifle a cough.

And i do meant that most sincerely.

Jolly good, that leaves more Tour for the rest of us to enjoy.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/07/2018 21:34:42
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1251046
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bicycles.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/07/2018 21:49:25
From: party_pants
ID: 1251047
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


Bicycles.

I think that might be the go for an hour or two, then bed. Can’t watch the soccer tonight, it is on at just too silly a timeslot, too late to stay up, to early to get up.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/07/2018 21:50:08
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1251048
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

party_pants said:


Bubblecar said:

Bicycles.

I think that might be the go for an hour or two, then bed. Can’t watch the soccer tonight, it is on at just too silly a timeslot, too late to stay up, to early to get up.

Yeah.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/07/2018 22:10:58
From: Peak Warming Man
ID: 1251051
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


Bicycles.

Velocipedes

Reply Quote

Date: 11/07/2018 23:14:12
From: sibeen
ID: 1251086
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Chavanel trying it on.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/07/2018 23:25:17
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1251095
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

sibeen said:


Chavanel trying it on.

He’s done it before, won a stage in a solo breakaway.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/07/2018 23:29:02
From: party_pants
ID: 1251100
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

oooh – stacked it!

Reply Quote

Date: 11/07/2018 23:32:27
From: sibeen
ID: 1251103
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

party_pants said:


oooh – stacked it!

Bugger. What happened? SWMBO and sprogs walked in and I had to chat to them for a few minutes.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/07/2018 23:33:50
From: roughbarked
ID: 1251104
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

sibeen said:


party_pants said:

oooh – stacked it!

Bugger. What happened? SWMBO and sprogs walked in and I had to chat to them for a few minutes.

Lotsa legs in lycra leeway.

Reply Quote

Date: 11/07/2018 23:41:00
From: party_pants
ID: 1251106
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

sibeen said:


party_pants said:

oooh – stacked it!

Bugger. What happened? SWMBO and sprogs walked in and I had to chat to them for a few minutes.

One of the blokes in the breakaway leading bunch, Gilbert, had a wobble on a fast downhill stretch and ran wide off the road on a bend and into the ditch. He was doing about 80 km/h. Back up and riding but dropping back to the pack.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/07/2018 22:35:57
From: sibeen
ID: 1251623
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

What sort of fuckwit takes a flare to Le Tour?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/07/2018 22:36:33
From: roughbarked
ID: 1251624
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

sibeen said:


What sort of fuckwit takes a flare to Le Tour?

a firebrand.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/07/2018 22:47:59
From: Woodie
ID: 1251636
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

They said it again!!!!!

Vincenzo Neeeeeeeeeeeeebalee. !!

Reply Quote

Date: 12/07/2018 22:49:49
From: party_pants
ID: 1251638
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Woodie said:


They said it again!!!!!

Vincenzo Neeeeeeeeeeeeebalee. !!

Why can’t they say Dion Smuth properly?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/07/2018 23:08:50
From: Woodie
ID: 1251644
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

What’s the black & white horizontal striped flag with something in the top corner all about?

Reply Quote

Date: 12/07/2018 23:09:44
From: party_pants
ID: 1251645
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Woodie said:


What’s the black & white horizontal striped flag with something in the top corner all about?

Local flag of Brittany.

Reply Quote

Date: 12/07/2018 23:12:00
From: Woodie
ID: 1251646
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

party_pants said:


Woodie said:

What’s the black & white horizontal striped flag with something in the top corner all about?

Local flag of Brittany.

Ah….. the Gwenn-ha-du

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 00:54:09
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1251669
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

32.8km to go. I overslept on my lay-me-down.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 00:56:08
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1251670
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

That bike race looks like an ant race next to that canal, in that helicopter view.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 00:57:41
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1251671
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

I sometimes wonder about how many complaints are made about flatulence upwind.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 01:00:26
From: roughbarked
ID: 1251673
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Tau.Neutrino said:


I sometimes wonder about how many complaints are made about flatulence upwind.

They are in it to win against all ill wiinds that may blow.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 01:06:51
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1251674
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Why are cyclists always in a group ?

Runners tend to spread out.

Why don’t cyclists?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 01:13:14
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1251675
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Tau.Neutrino said:


Why are cyclists always in a group ?

Runners tend to spread out.

Why don’t cyclists?

Because if you get too far behind the main group you lose too much time.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 01:13:20
From: sibeen
ID: 1251676
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Tau.Neutrino said:


Why are cyclists always in a group ?

Runners tend to spread out.

Why don’t cyclists?

Wind resistance. It makes a huge difference at the speeds they are travelling.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 01:14:30
From: roughbarked
ID: 1251677
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Why are cyclists always in a group ?

Runners tend to spread out.

Why don’t cyclists?

Because if you get too far behind the main group you lose too much time.

Either you lead or you don’t.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 01:16:29
From: roughbarked
ID: 1251678
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

sibeen said:


Tau.Neutrino said:

Why are cyclists always in a group ?

Runners tend to spread out.

Why don’t cyclists?

Wind resistance. It makes a huge difference at the speeds they are travelling.

Whenever they suddenly come to me as a group it is hard to resist.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 01:41:29
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1251683
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Dean Martin wins the stage, way ahead of Jerry Lewis.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 01:42:24
From: sibeen
ID: 1251684
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Not bad for Porte.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 01:45:08
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1251685
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

sibeen said:


Not bad for Porte.

I’m waiting for the overall standings. No idea who’s leading the Tour.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 01:46:56
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1251686
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bony bird-faced Dan Martin must be getting a bit old for this, but well done.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 01:58:04
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1251688
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Dan Martin reminds me a bit of Eric Sykes, same sort of hooter and teeth. But more emaciated-looking.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 01:58:42
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1251689
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Richie Porte still ahead of Froome in the standings.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 09:46:36
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1251703
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


Dan Martin reminds me a bit of Eric Sykes, same sort of hooter and teeth. But more emaciated-looking.

Probably better at telling a joke too :)

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 22:28:02
From: party_pants
ID: 1252056
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

OK then, time to pour a drink and sit back for an hour or two.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 22:29:31
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252059
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

party_pants said:


OK then, time to pour a drink and sit back for an hour or two.

Cheers, stay up until the finish this time.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 22:30:58
From: party_pants
ID: 1252061
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


party_pants said:

OK then, time to pour a drink and sit back for an hour or two.

Cheers, stay up until the finish this time.

well, I don’t have to get up before 6am tomorrow, so I just might… if I don’t just fall asleep in the armchair.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 23:20:09
From: party_pants
ID: 1252091
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

so much bird shot on the roof ridge of that chateaus.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 23:21:57
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252092
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

party_pants said:


so much bird shot on the roof ridge of that chateaus.

A lot of shit on it too.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 23:23:16
From: party_pants
ID: 1252093
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


party_pants said:

so much bird shot on the roof ridge of that chateaus.

A lot of shit on it too.

that’s what I meant :)

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 23:28:24
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252094
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

I like how even the littlest kids are cheering and clapping as the bikes go by.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 23:34:53
From: kii
ID: 1252095
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


I like how even the littlest kids are cheering and clapping as the bikes go by.

Are they in cages?

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 23:38:14
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252096
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

kii said:


Bubblecar said:

I like how even the littlest kids are cheering and clapping as the bikes go by.

Are they in cages?

No they’re mostly riding piggyback on parents.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 23:40:03
From: party_pants
ID: 1252097
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

kii said:


Bubblecar said:

I like how even the littlest kids are cheering and clapping as the bikes go by.

Are they in cages?

The Tour de France happens in a civilised country.

Reply Quote

Date: 13/07/2018 23:58:51
From: party_pants
ID: 1252100
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

I really dig their little musical interludes coming back from the ad breaks.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 00:10:14
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252101
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

I’m glad my name isn’t Rudy.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 00:29:30
From: party_pants
ID: 1252110
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

I’m not going to make it to the end of the stage. There is still a good hour and a half to go..

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 00:30:29
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252112
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

party_pants said:


I’m not going to make it to the end of the stage. There is still a good hour and a half to go..

I had an after-dinner lay-me-down for over two hours, so I’m still riding strong.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 00:35:40
From: party_pants
ID: 1252113
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

there are so many roads in France with a ditch alongside.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 00:39:57
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252114
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

party_pants said:


there are so many roads in France with a ditch alongside.

Archaeological digs have discovered many graves of cyclists in them.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 00:40:26
From: sibeen
ID: 1252115
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

party_pants said:


I’m not going to make it to the end of the stage. There is still a good hour and a half to go..

I’ve just fortified myself with a glass of red, some parma and olives; all washed down with a cleansing stout.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 00:41:09
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252116
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

sibeen said:


party_pants said:

I’m not going to make it to the end of the stage. There is still a good hour and a half to go..

I’ve just fortified myself with a glass of red, some parma and olives; all washed down with a cleansing stout.

That’s the spirit.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 00:56:29
From: sibeen
ID: 1252118
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Just a magnificent building.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 01:03:33
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252120
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Lots of lovely hawthorn hedges in the French countryside.

People say various parts of Tasmania look English because of all the hawthorn, but they equally look French.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 01:11:51
From: sibeen
ID: 1252122
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

I don’t know why they bother with these mini interviews.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 01:49:15
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252129
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Robby needs help with his “i” s, amongst other matters.

O’M gonna try

should be

I’M going to try

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 01:53:49
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252130
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


Robby needs help with his “i” s, amongst other matters.

O’M gonna try

should be

I’M going to try

O’M gonna try =O’M gonna troy

It’s not pleasing.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 02:00:37
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252131
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Just about 5km to go and now they’re starting to race.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 02:10:35
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252133
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Groenewegen silences the critics.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 02:11:30
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252134
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


Groenewegen silences the critics.

But he’d be more useful if he came here and fixed my bike.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 04:31:00
From: kii
ID: 1252139
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Tour de France 1914

No idea when.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 07:47:39
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1252143
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

kii said:


Tour de France 1914

No idea when.


A lot of people got a Tour de France in the years following 1914.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 07:50:21
From: buffy
ID: 1252144
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Ooh. Nice stonework.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-14/melbournes-former-artillery-storage-facility-jacks-magazine/9962368

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 07:51:45
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1252145
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Roughie,

Measured the watch bezel at several points around its circumference.

The centre of the ‘trench’ between the inner and outer rims is 40mm, as i read it.

The height/thickness of the bezel is 2mm, maybe 2.1mm.

Have pics but they’re not terribly clear, and they’re not on the photo site yet.

I’ll ask Mrs S (excellent photographer) to get some better ones.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 07:56:06
From: roughbarked
ID: 1252146
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

captain_spalding said:


Roughie,

Measured the watch bezel at several points around its circumference.

The centre of the ‘trench’ between the inner and outer rims is 40mm, as i read it.

The height/thickness of the bezel is 2mm, maybe 2.1mm.

Have pics but they’re not terribly clear, and they’re not on the photo site yet.

I’ll ask Mrs S (excellent photographer) to get some better ones.

40mm is a common larger size PW glass. I’d like some good photos of the watch itself and the innards, the movement. Plus a shot of the inside of the caseback.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 07:57:29
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1252147
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

buffy said:

Ooh. Nice stonework.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-14/melbournes-former-artillery-storage-facility-jacks-magazine/9962368

Yes, i saw that. Actually saw the place for real in the early 80s.

I wonder what its ultimate fate will be? ‘Developed’ in some trendy/exclusive manner?

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 08:00:14
From: buffy
ID: 1252152
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

sorry

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 08:01:00
From: captain_spalding
ID: 1252153
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

buffy said:

sorry

s’ok – you good kid.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 14:14:19
From: sibeen
ID: 1252215
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Hopefully tonight’s stage 8 will be far superior to yesterday’s snoozefest.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 14:17:01
From: Woodie
ID: 1252219
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

sibeen said:


Hopefully tonight’s stage 8 will be far superior to yesterday’s snoozefest.

Yeah. Nobody crashed.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 14:22:26
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252223
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

sibeen said:


Hopefully tonight’s stage 8 will be far superior to yesterday’s snoozefest.

I enjoyed it. Pleasant little forests and hedgerows and wide open farming landscapes.

Not much racing but that’s hardly my fault.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 14:43:06
From: The Rev Dodgson
ID: 1252234
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


sibeen said:

Hopefully tonight’s stage 8 will be far superior to yesterday’s snoozefest.

I enjoyed it. Pleasant little forests and hedgerows and wide open farming landscapes.

Not much racing but that’s hardly my fault.

That’s what they all say.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 22:25:32
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252425
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

These châteaux are nearly all symmetrical.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 22:27:59
From: party_pants
ID: 1252426
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


These châteaux are nearly all symmetrical.

pleasingly so, IMHO.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 22:33:39
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252427
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

So at 11 we have to change to the other SBS to continue with the bicycles while normal SBS has a football gobfest before the match.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 22:35:37
From: party_pants
ID: 1252429
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


So at 11 we have to change to the other SBS to continue with the bicycles while normal SBS has a football gobfest before the match.

We nearly always get Le Tour on ch 31 instead of the main channel. It isn’t that hard as it turns out.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 22:40:11
From: sibeen
ID: 1252432
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


So at 11 we have to change to the other SBS to continue with the bicycles while normal SBS has a football gobfest before the match.

Shrug, I’m using ‘on demand’ on the computer, so have it playing on one of my screens.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 22:41:57
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252434
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

sibeen said:


Bubblecar said:

So at 11 we have to change to the other SBS to continue with the bicycles while normal SBS has a football gobfest before the match.

Shrug, I’m using ‘on demand’ on the computer, so have it playing on one of my screens.

I’ve got the heater on in the living room and am sitting on an armchair watching the tellybox in there, except when I’m in this pooter room posting on the internets as I am at this moment.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 23:20:23
From: party_pants
ID: 1252445
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

those wind turbines hardly moving at all

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 23:25:20
From: sibeen
ID: 1252446
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

party_pants said:


those wind turbines hardly moving at all

It’s OK, France has plenty of nice, clean nuclear power to take up the slack.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 23:27:44
From: party_pants
ID: 1252447
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

sibeen said:


party_pants said:

those wind turbines hardly moving at all

It’s OK, France has plenty of nice, clean nuclear power to take up the slack.

They were talking about head winds and so on at the time… barely a breath out there.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 23:31:15
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252448
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

I’ll fix my bicycle this spring.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 23:33:32
From: party_pants
ID: 1252449
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


I’ll fix my bicycle this spring.

Do it now. Today. Spread a tarp out on the living room floor and do it while you watch Le Tour or the soccer.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 23:34:22
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252450
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

I miss the old girl.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 23:35:04
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252451
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

party_pants said:


Bubblecar said:

I’ll fix my bicycle this spring.

Do it now. Today. Spread a tarp out on the living room floor and do it while you watch Le Tour or the soccer.

Don’t be silly. It’s the middle of a freezing cold night and I’m pleasantly drunk.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 23:36:02
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252452
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 23:36:33
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252453
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 23:43:39
From: sibeen
ID: 1252454
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

But don’t you now live so close to the center of town that it would take longer to hop onto the bike than it would to walk to the shops.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 23:44:49
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252455
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

sibeen said:


But don’t you now live so close to the center of town that it would take longer to hop onto the bike than it would to walk to the shops.

Yes but I can go for long country rides down Truelands Road.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 23:48:51
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252456
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Truelands Road. It goes on forever.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 23:51:36
From: sibeen
ID: 1252457
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


Truelands Road. It goes on forever.


A nearly an infinity of road to ride.

Reply Quote

Date: 14/07/2018 23:54:12
From: party_pants
ID: 1252458
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


Truelands Road. It goes on forever.


very quaint.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 00:00:56
From: sibeen
ID: 1252459
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

The Irishman cough looks quite cut up.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 00:18:52
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252460
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Groenewegen wins again. I was hoping for a French win, but it wasn’t to be.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 00:19:45
From: party_pants
ID: 1252461
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


Groenewegen wins again. I was hoping for a French win, but it wasn’t to be.

It was a Dutchman, close enough.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 00:21:22
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252464
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

party_pants said:


Bubblecar said:

Groenewegen wins again. I was hoping for a French win, but it wasn’t to be.

It was a Dutchman, close enough.

At least it wasn’t an Englander.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 20:54:17
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252736
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Cobblestones tonight, hold onto your hat.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 20:55:21
From: AwesomeO
ID: 1252737
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


Cobblestones tonight, hold onto your hat.

I don’t watch it, but does that mean special bikes or tyres?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 21:00:28
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252739
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

AwesomeO said:


Bubblecar said:

Cobblestones tonight, hold onto your hat.

I don’t watch it, but does that mean special bikes or tyres?

Yes, there are some tricks they use:

The Tour de France teams’ mechanics will be working overtime to prepare bikes for the cobbles of Paris-Roubaix, which the Tour’s riders will face on stage nine on Sunday.

The riders will change gearing, tyres and in Team Sky‘s case, the bike itself to use rear suspension.

“We are using Pinarello’s K10S with suspension, that everyone should be on,” Team Sky mechanic Gary Blem told Cycling Weekly. “Those come down this afternoon and will be at the hotel, and we will prepare them.

“With the rear suspension we don’t need to run the tyres too soft. It’s an automatic suspension so as we hit the cobbles the suspension is activated. That gives them more of an advantage on a normal surface before they hit the cobbles sections.”

Read more at https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/special-kit-will-teams-riders-use-tour-de-france-cobbles-386488#xcGTsPMjXv9qvcwA.99

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 21:01:41
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252741
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Richie Porte has crashed and it looks like he’s out of the Tour :(

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 21:03:34
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252742
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


Richie Porte has crashed and it looks like he’s out of the Tour :(

He has abandoned the race.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 21:04:16
From: party_pants
ID: 1252743
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Richie Porte has crashed and it looks like he’s out of the Tour :(

He has abandoned the race.

Well that’s a complete bummer.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 21:07:21
From: sibeen
ID: 1252744
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


Bubblecar said:

Richie Porte has crashed and it looks like he’s out of the Tour :(

He has abandoned the race.

Shit, had the race on in the background but was fixing a problem on the wife’s laptop; completely missed it.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 21:07:26
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252745
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

party_pants said:


Bubblecar said:

Bubblecar said:

Richie Porte has crashed and it looks like he’s out of the Tour :(

He has abandoned the race.

Well that’s a complete bummer.

I was thinking this might be his Tour, but that’s that scuppered.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 21:23:40
From: sibeen
ID: 1252746
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

That most Irish of accents.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 21:51:17
From: sibeen
ID: 1252755
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

On the first cobbles.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 22:16:08
From: Rule 303
ID: 1252772
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Ritchie will be shattered.

Especially his collar bone…

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 22:22:45
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252779
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Rule 303 said:


Ritchie will be shattered.

Especially his collar bone…

It’s a dangerous game.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 22:40:19
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252795
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Riders starting to hit the deck on these cobbles.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 22:43:42
From: party_pants
ID: 1252796
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


Riders starting to hit the deck on these cobbles.

I switched over during the ads, and saw that Great British Railways was on the other channel. Don’t know why but there is something about that series I really like.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 22:45:42
From: sibeen
ID: 1252797
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

More down.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 22:48:00
From: Woodie
ID: 1252798
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

I’ve never seen them do dirt roads, do they?

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 22:48:57
From: Woodie
ID: 1252799
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

They just said it again!!!!

Vincenzo Neeeeeeeeeeeeeebalee. :)

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 22:49:55
From: sibeen
ID: 1252801
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Woodie said:


I’ve never seen them do dirt roads, do they?

Not that I’ve ever seen.

Vincenzo Nibali is caught a bit behind.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 22:52:21
From: Rule 303
ID: 1252802
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Woodie said:


I’ve never seen them do dirt roads, do they?

Nope. Cobbles and wet bitumen are as bad as it gets.

Dirt roads are reserved for Cyclocross racers.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 22:55:40
From: Woodie
ID: 1252804
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Those support cars don’t take much notice of the speed limit do they. When they’re off…….. they’re gone! VROOOOOOM….

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 23:31:13
From: party_pants
ID: 1252814
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

I think the cobblestone are just plain silly.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 23:32:47
From: sibeen
ID: 1252815
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

party_pants said:


I think the cobblestone are just plain silly.

Why? I love the Paris–Roubaix race. Watch it every year if possible.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 23:34:31
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252816
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

party_pants said:


I think the cobblestone are just plain silly.

They’re certainly ethically questionable. They should be trying to minimise injuries, not provide ample chance for them.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 23:35:53
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252817
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

All this “entertaining” excitement over riders crashing is not very edifying.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 23:37:27
From: sibeen
ID: 1252818
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Bubblecar said:


All this “entertaining” excitement over riders crashing is not very edifying.

Shitloads of them are crashing on the normal tarmac.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 23:39:05
From: sibeen
ID: 1252819
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

sibeen said:


Bubblecar said:

All this “entertaining” excitement over riders crashing is not very edifying.

Shitloads of them are crashing on the normal tarmac.

“all the crashes are happening on the normal roads”.

I should be a commentator.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 23:54:59
From: sibeen
ID: 1252821
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Quite dusty in this section.

Reply Quote

Date: 15/07/2018 23:59:15
From: party_pants
ID: 1252822
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

sibeen said:


Quite dusty in this section.

locals should be forced to sweep up day before the race.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2018 00:00:05
From: sibeen
ID: 1252823
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

party_pants said:


sibeen said:

Quite dusty in this section.

locals should be forced to sweep up day before the race.

They do.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2018 00:01:35
From: party_pants
ID: 1252824
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

sibeen said:


party_pants said:

sibeen said:

Quite dusty in this section.

locals should be forced to sweep up day before the race.

They do.

not well enogh

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2018 00:03:48
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252825
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Robby knows what he’s talking about but I wish he’d shut up.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2018 00:05:19
From: Tau.Neutrino
ID: 1252826
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

The locals should vacuum the whole bicycle route .

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2018 00:25:03
From: Bubblecar
ID: 1252827
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Johnny Degenkolb wins, but let’s go to the football.

Reply Quote

Date: 16/07/2018 00:25:41
From: sibeen
ID: 1252829
Subject: re: Le Tour 18

Yeah, that was emotional :)

Reply Quote